Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Linkedin Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

1869

09 February 2013

1869 – Church of St. Cronan, Roscrea, Co. Tipperary

Architect: William Deane Butler / John Sterling Butler Work on Roscrea’s fine Roman Catholic church took many years, with the foundation stone being laid in 1843. However the Famine stalled work, and it...

08 February 2013

1869 – The Ham, Cowbridge, Glamorganshire, Wales

Architect: Sir Matthew Digby Wyatt From The Building News: “The house is built of limestone raised on the estate ; internally it is wainscoted neatlv throughout with oak, walnut, and olive wood”, the...

04 January 2013

1859 – Houndiscombe House, Plymouth, Devon

Architect: James Hine Demolished in 1907. “THIS house, situate within the borough of Plymouth, on the North-road has lately been erected for Mr. William Derry, from designs by Mr, James Hine, architect. On...

24 October 2012

1869 – Church of St. Columba, Kingsland Road, London

Architect: James Brooks Built as a slum mission centre with a clergy house and school. The church has a pretty grim polychromic brick exterior – the adjoining structures being more attractive with their...

19 October 2012

1869 – Church of Ireland, Bunclody, Co. Wexford

Architect: Joseph Welland / William Burges The original church was by Thomas Cooley, but little now remains of it, after the Ecclesiastical Commissioners largely rebuilt it in 1869. Then the galleries were removed,...

23 April 2012

1869 – New Wesleyan Chapel, Alsager, Cheshire

Architect: George B. Ford Now known as Wesley Place Methodist Church. Published in The Building News, April 8th 1870. “THIS chapel (with which it will be seen a school is combined) occupies a...

20 April 2012

1869 – Columbia Market & Dwellings, London

Architect: Henry Darbishire Columbia Market was established in 1869 as a covered food market, by the philanthropist Angela Burdett-Coutts for 400 stalls. However it was never a success as the traders preferred selling...

26 March 2012

1869 – Semidetached Cottages, Lower Tooting, London

Architect: Owen W. Davis From The Building News, February 26 1869: “One of our lithographs represents a perspective view, with plans and sections, of two semi-detached cottages, situated within a few minutes’ walk...

26 January 2012

1869 – Hellmuth Ladies’ College, London, Ontario

Founded in 1869 by the Rt. Rev. Isaac Hellmuth, second Bishop of the Diocese of Huron, and opened on September 23 of that year by H.R.H. Prince Arthur, the Duke of Connaught. Overlooking...