Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Linkedin Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

1870

12 June 2014

1870 – Working Men’s Institute, Queen Street, Belfast

Architect: Anthony Thomas Jackson Constructed at the junction of Queen and Mill Streets, demolished in 1915. The arcaded shops were the home of Lennon’s Catholic Repository. The building contained a library and a...

04 May 2014

1870 – Cahermoyle House, Co. Limerick

Architect: J.J. McCarthy The present house was built in the early 1870s by Edward O’Brien, son of William Smith O’Brien replacing an earlier house which was the home of his grandmother the Dowager...

01 April 2014

1870 – Gatelodge and School, Dalkey, Co. Dublin

Architect: E.H. Carson Combined gate-house and school building for St. Patrick’s Church of Ireland in Dalkey. Still standing today although missing the top of the small tower. A parishioner Charles Leslie presented the...

27 March 2014

1870 – Foyle Road Railway Station, Derry

Architect: Turner & Williamson Italianate railway terminus for the Great Northern Railway Company by Turner & Williamson. This was one of two stations in Derry, the other being the Waterside Station of the...

26 March 2014

1870 – Craigavon House, Sydenham, Belfast, Co. Antrim

Architect: Thomas Jackson & Sons Small country house on what was then outside of Belfast for James Craig, father of the future Lord Craigavon. The family were wealthy, their money coming from the...

06 March 2014

1870 – Design for O’Connell Bridge, Dublin

Architect: Lanyon, Lynn and Lanyon Second placed design in architectural competition to construct a new O’Connell Bridge, replacing Gandon’s Carlisle Bridge. Published in The Irish Builder, June 1 1870.

28 February 2014

1870 – Design for O’Connell Bridge, Dublin

Architect: William Lewis Entrant in architectural competition to construct a new O’Connell Bridge, replacing Gandon’s Carlisle Bridge. Published in The Irish Builder, July 1 1870.

20 February 2014

1870 – St. John’s College, Waterford

Architect: George Goldie Constructed between 1868 and 1879, the diocesan college had a cloistered central court and chapel – a rather grim fortress of Catholic education. Closed as a seminary in 1999 due...

07 February 2014

1870 – The Law Club, Nassau St., Dublin

Architect: John McCurdy Gothic club building with two oriel windows at first floor level allowing the members to have a few of the street from their smoking and coffee rooms. Designed by John...