Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

1870

05 March 2013

1870 – St. Anne’s Hydro & Turkish Bath, Blarney, Co. Cork

Architect: Richard Barter Part of the earlier, sprawling Hydropathic centre started by Dr. Richard Barter, the large Turkish bath building can be seen in the foreground. The Hydropathic buildings are those further up...

26 February 2013

1870 – Backhouse & Co., Bank, Sunderland

Architect: G.G. Hoskins Backhouse’s Bank merged in 1896 with Gurney’s Bank of Norwich and Barclays of London to form what is now Barclays Bank. From The Building News: “THIS building, which his just...

25 February 2013

1870 – Sacred Heart Church & School, Holloway, London

Architect: F.H. Pownall The foundation stone of the church was laid on 5 August 1869, with the finished building costing £7,000, it was opened on 18 August 1870. The church from the outside,...

15 October 2012

1870 – Town Hall, Larne, Co. Antrim

Architect: Alexander Tate Constructed as a townhall, with museum and public library, this is a fine building in a French Gothic style with a tall four-storey clock tower. Opened in August 1870, and...

12 September 2012

1870 – Public Library, Cincinnati, Ohio

Architect: James W. McLaughlin Opened in 1870 and in later years known as Old Main. The main hall with its towering book stacks and clearly expressed metal structure was a fantastic internal space....

04 September 2012

1870 – Market Hall, Burnley, Lancashire

Architect: James Green Constructed but without the planned tower. Contained 32 shops and 132 linear yards of stalls. The market area was covered by a three span wrought iron and glass roof. Demolished...

19 July 2012

1870 – Church of St. Chad, Haggerston, London

Architect: James Brooks Interior view published in The Building News, September 9th 1870. A cruciform church with aisles. Central bell cote and tall, pyramidal leaded roof. Red brick with stone dressings. Very high...

02 July 2012

1870 – St. Peters Church, Hampton Lucy, Warwickshire

Architects: Thomas Rickman, Gilbert Scott, T. Willement Altar Window designed by T. Willement and published in The Building News, July 8th 1870. St. Peters Church is one of the earliest and best examples...

01 May 2012

1870 – Church, Ford End, Great Waltham, Essex

Architect: Fred Chancellor The foundation stone of the Church, laid in 1870 refers to the older name, Fourth End, instead of Ford End. Unfortunately, this church had structural problems because it had been...