Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Linkedin Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

1870

20 July 2010

1870 – St. Saviours Church, Battersea, London

Architect: E.C. Robins As published in The Building News, May 6th 1870. Described by A History of the County of Surrey: Volume 4 in 1912 as a building of squared rag and Bath...

20 July 2010

1870 – Battersea Chapel, London

Architect: E.C. Robins As published in The Building News, March 25th 1870. “WE give this week an illustration of the proposed new chapel for the Baptist congregation formed in 1797, which has been...

16 July 2010

1870 – South London Palace, Southwark, London

Architect: William Paice This was the third music-hall to succeed in London, following the Canterbury and Weston’s (Holborn Empire), was burnt down in 1869, but speedily rebuilt.It was badly damaged by enemy action...

18 June 2010

1870 – Humewood, Kiltegan, Co. Wicklow

Architect: William White Humewood Castle was built between 1867 and 1870 to the design of an extraordinary architect, William White. The original concept was for “an occasional resort in the summer or the...

26 February 2010

1870 – No.42 Grafton Street, Dublin

Architect: William Mitchell Redeveloped by Mitchell in 1870 for Rathborne’s as a shop and billiards room.

18 February 2010

1870 – No.29 Dame Street, Dublin

Architect: J.E. Rogers Built in the narrow Wide Streets Commissioners plot, is this ornate office building for the Caledonian Fire & Life Insurance Company. The pair of windows on the first floor are...

10 February 2010

1870 – Nos.3-4 Westmoreland Street, Dublin

Architect: William G. Murray Designed as the Cramer Wood Music Store, this building has fine polychromatic brickwork and stone trimmings. Originally the doorway was offcentre, to the righthandside of the building but it...

28 January 2010

1870 – Hamilton Monument, Skerries, Co. Dublin

A small little obelisk commemorating a local landowner. This simple monument would benefit from some landscaping – perhaps a larger traffic island to allow people to approach it.

19 January 2010

1870 – Bank of Ireland (formerly Goodbody’s), Tullamore, Co. Offaly

A fine three storey warehouse in Ruskinian Gothic, which has been restored and amalgamated into the adjacent Bank of Ireland premises. It boasts a wonderful use of multi-coloured brickwork.