Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Linkedin Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

1874

15 February 2011

1874 – St.-Nikolai-Kirche, Hamburg, Germany

Architect: George Gilbert Scott Constructed 1845-8), bombed during World War II and now a ruin. The church was the tallest building in the world from 1874 to 1876 and is still the second-tallest...

10 February 2011

1874 – Cocks Biddulph & Co’s Bank, Charing Cross, London

Architect: Richard Coad Front elevation published in The Building News, February 27th 1874. Cocks Biddulph & Company was acquired by the Bank of Liverpool and Martins in 1919, when the pattern of banking...

04 November 2010

1874 – Church of the Assumption, St. Paul, Minnesota

Architect: Joseph Reidel The Church of the Assumption was founded in 1856 by Bishop Joseph Cretin and served newly arrived immigrants from Ireland, France and Germany. Ground was broken for the first church...

11 March 2010

1874 – St. Marks Church, Battersea Rise, London

Architect: William White An early concrete and brick church designed by noted church architect William White. Described in a contemporary account as “St. Mark’s, Battersea Rise, is of the Geometric Middle-pointed style of...

08 March 2010

1874 – Congregational Church & Schools, Woodford, Essex

Architect: Rowland Plumbe Woodford Congregational church was founded about 1790. Additions, including a new schoolroom, were made in 1861. The building was a rectangular stucco-faced building in the neo-classical style with a Corinthian...

20 January 2010

1874 – Grattan Bridge, Dublin

Architect: Bindon B. Stoney Named after Henry Grattan MP (1746-1820) and opened in 1874. The original bridge on this site was built in 1676 and called Essex Bridge after the Lord Lieutenant Arthur...

07 January 2010

1874 – Cord Burial Ground Church, Drogheda, Co. Louth

A small gothic mortuary chapel with a particularly high pitched roof. The building is finished in rusticated limestone. Dedicated 21 June 1874. In the corner of the graveyard is the east gable of...

31 December 2009

1874 – Church, Ballyoughter, Co. Wexford

Architect: G.C. Ashlin Small and simple gothic revival chapel by George Ashlin. Unremarkable interior post Vatican II.

30 December 2009

1874 – Townhall, Sligo, Co. Sligo

Architect: William Hague Designed by William Hague (who was better known for his churches), Sligo Townhall is a well proportioned building in a Lombardo-Romanesque style. The dominant feature is the central clock tower...