Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr


23 February 2010

1875 – Grammar School, Darlington, Durham

Architect: George Gordon Hoskins Now the location for the Queen Elizabeth Sixth Form College which was established in 1970 on the site of the old Queen Elizabeth Grammar School. Much of the building...

10 February 2010

1875 – Scottish Widows, Westmoreland Street, Dublin

Architect: Thomas Newenham Deane Orginally built in 1875 with some minor additions in 1879 for Scottish Widows, this was for many years a bank branch of AIB. It has a magnificent sandstone facade...

02 February 2010

1875 – Liffey Railway Bridge, Conyngham Road, Dublin

A fine bridge leading to the Phoenix Park tunnel which links Heuston Station to Connolly Station via Cabra and which is now mainly used for freight trains. The Longmeadow Apartment scheme can be...

07 January 2010

1875 – Former Convent, Drogheda, Co. Louth

This attractive former convent and school displays varied decorative detailing from the elegant dog-tooth mouldings to the more robust rock-faced plinth. This decoration together with the contrasting brick and stone construction make this...

14 December 2009

1875 – Premiated Design for New Parliament House, Berlin

Architect: Sir George Gilbert Scott Premiated entry after international architectural competition to design a new parliament for the then recently unified Germany.

09 December 2009

1875 – Paisley Town Hall, Scotland

Architect: Rennison & Scott Premiated design for new townhall. Interior illustration published in The Building News, July 23rd 1875. Never built, instead a fine design by Irish architect W.H. Lynn was constructed.

01 December 2009

1875 – Théâtre National de l’Opéra, Paris

Architect: Charles Garnier This is the thirteenth building to house the Paris Opera since the Opera was founded in 1669. Constructed as part of the great building programme which included the great boulevards...

13 November 2009

1875 – Former National Bank, Waterford

Architect: Brett & Sons Elaborate commercial premises designed in a Ruskinian Gothic as offices for the National Bank of Ireland. In good repair, the building has decorative polychromic brickwork above a granite ground...

13 November 2009

1875 – Bank of Ireland, Waterford

Architect: Sandham Symes Imposing late 19th century bank building with living accommodation in the upperfloors. The interior boasts quite a tall banking hall. The bank retains important salient features and materials, and is...