Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

1878

13 July 2012

1878 – Church of the Holy Trinity, Privett, Hampshire

Architect: Arthur W. Blomfield In 1863, William Nicholson of the firm of J&W Nicholson & Co, gin distillers, bought the nearby estate of Basing Park. Many of the buildings in Privett were built...

02 July 2012

1878 – Restoration of Church of St.Mary, North Petherton, Somerset

Architect: W. Scott Champion A 15th century Church, located in the centre of the village, with a 109 foot three stage tower.The tower dates from the 1540’s and is one of the finest...

02 July 2012

1878 – Church of St. Mary, Middlesbrough, Yorkshire

Architect: Goldie & Child St. Mary’s Church was dedicated in August 1878 and early the following year became the Cathedral of the New See of Middlesbrough. The tower was not executed and the...

16 April 2012

1878 – St. Mark’s Church, Horsham, Sussex

Architect: Habershon, Spalding & Brock Design published in The Building News, March 15th 1878. Demolished except for the tower and spire in the 1980s, and now surrounded by poor quality architectural dross.

16 April 2012

1878 – The David Thomas Memorial Church & Schools, Bristol

Architect: Stuart Colman The David Thomas Memorial church was erected 1879-81 but demolished in 1987 destroying most of a Gothic fantasy by Stuart Coleman. The building still retains a thin octagonal spire and...

16 April 2012

1878 – Design for Church of St. Mary Magdalen, Woolwich, London

Architect: William Young Design for the remodeling of St. Mary Magdalen church of 1740, published in The Building News, May 24th 1878. Never carried out, the church was later extended by John Oldrid...

15 April 2012

1878 – Church, Caversham, Oxfordshire

Architect: Morris & Stallwood A largely 15th-century church before the addition of a three stage tower and south aisle by Morris & Stallwood in 1878. Published in The Building News, march 8 1878.

15 April 2012

1884 – St. Finnian’s Church, Kilfinane, Co. Limerick

Architect: G.C. Ashlin Completed in 1884, but designed in 1877-78 with illustrations published in The Building News, March 22nd 1878.

21 March 2012

1878 – The Exchange Art Galleries, Liverpool

Architects: Salomons, Wornum & Ely Commercial art galleries for Messrs. Agnew & Sons, published in The Building News, September 20th 1878. Agnew & Sons were prominent art dealers, with premises in Manchester and...