Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

1878

25 August 2010

1878 – The Tower House, Kensington, London

Architect: William Burges The Tower House was built between 1876 and 1878 in the 13th century French gothic style, by the Victorian architect William Burges for himself. Burges purchased the plot of land...

30 June 2010

1878 – Porte St. Louis, Quebec City

Architect: W.H. Lynn The Citadel and walls, built to protect the city, are the largest standing fortifications in North America, earning Quebec a place on UNESCO’s World Heritage List. There are also a...

01 June 2010

1878 – Loretto Chapel, Santa Fe, New Mexico

Architect: Antoine Mouly Undoubtedly influenced by the French clergy in Santa Fe, the Gothic Revival-style chapel was patterned after King Louis IX’s Sainte-Chapelle in Paris; a striking contrast to the adobe churches already...

27 May 2010

1878 – South City Markets, South Great George’s Street, Dublin

Architect: McCurdy & Mitchell Unplaced design for the market buildings on Sth Great George’s Street. Described in The Building News: “the exterior, as shown by a cleverly-handled perspective drawing tinted in sepia and...

06 May 2010

1878 – Grocery & Provision Warehouse, Leith, Edinburgh

Architect: James Simpson / William Mercer Built for the Scottish Co-operative Wholesale Society over several years. After the initial construction of 1878, it was doubled in length by architect William Mercer of the...

04 May 2010

1878 – Point Depot, North Wall Quay, Dublin

Built in 1878 as a rail terminus for the Midland and Great Western Railway Company, its has been redeveloped as an exhibition and concert venue. These photographs show it prior to its extensive...

29 January 2010

1878 – Bahnhof Alexanderplatz, Berlin

Architect: Johann Eduard Jacobsthal Horribly clad on the exterior, this station on the S-Bahn still has its original 19th century heart. Originally designed by Johann Eduard Jacobsthal, it was reconstructed by Hans Joachim...

29 January 2010

1878 – Bahnhof Friedrichstrasse, Berlin

Architect: Johannes Vollmer The original station which opened in 1878 was designed by Johannes Vollmer. However due to the need for expansion over the years, very little of his work is now visible....

26 January 2010

1878 – Proposed Cathedral at Truro, Cornwall

Architect: R.P. Pullan Construction began in 1880 to a design by the architect John Loughborough Pearson, after an architectural competition. Published in The Building News, March 26th 1880.