Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

1878

07 January 2010

1878 – St. Mary Magdalen’s Dominican Church, Drogheda, Co. Louth

Architect: G.C. Ashlin Designed in a French Gothic style and built in 1878, the Dominican church is finished in rusticated limestone. The side entrance to Dominick Street has a small tower over the...

30 December 2009

1878 – Courthouse, Sligo, Co. Sligo

Architect: Rawson Carroll Most large Irish towns have a fine classical courthouse (Carlow, Monaghan, Dundalk), but Sligo’s is a fine Gothic Revival ediface. The design is dominated by the octagonal tower which has...

21 December 2009

1878 – Saint Mildred’s House, The Poultry, London

Architect: J.J. Cole Offices of Gresham Life Assurance Society built on the site of St. Mildred’s church which was sold and demolished in 1872.

14 December 2009

1878 – Hotel de Ville, Montreal, Quebec

Architect: Henri-Maurice Perrault & Alexander Cowper Hutchison The five storey Montreal City Hall is the work of architects Henri-Maurice Perrault and Alexander Cowper Hutchison, built between 1872 and 1878. Its architecture is in...

10 December 2009

1878 – Laurier House, Ottawa, Ontario

Located in a quiet residential neighbourhood close to Parliament Hill, Laurier House is a National Historic Site. It was built in 1878 in the Second Empire Style, popular in North America at the...

18 November 2009

1878 – Belhaven Church, Glasgow

Architect: Campbell Douglas & Sellars

05 November 2009

1878 – Luke Fildes House & Studio, Kensington, London

Architect: Richard Norman Shaw A Victorian artists’ colony in this part of Kensington with artists such as G.F. Watts and Luke Fildes, for instance, living in the immediate neighbourhood for many years. Fildes...

22 October 2009

1878 – Roans Girl’s College, Greenwich, London

Architect: Thomas Dinwiddy From The Architect, September 25, 1875: “In the autumn of last year it may be remembered designs were invited by the governors of Roan’s Charity Greenwich from six selected architects...

30 September 2009

1878 – New Chateau, Quebec City

Architect: W.H. Lynn Irish architect W.H. Lynn was brought over to Quebec in 1875 by the Governor General, Lord Dufferin, and he produced several designs for gates and towers on the Quebec city...