Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Linkedin Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

1879

07 April 2010

1879 – Sir John Gray Statue, O’Connell Street, Dublin

Designer: Thomas Farrell The statue celebrating Sir John Gray (1816-75) for his efforts in bringing a water supply to Dublin in 1868.

23 February 2010

1879 – Design for City of London School

Architect: Oliver & Leeson Highly Commended in architectural competition. “The estimated cost of this design was £49,500, and the materials proposed were white Suffolk bricks for the elevation next the Royal Hotel, the...

18 February 2010

1879 – Olympia Theatre, Dame Street, Dublin

Architect: R.N. Bruton Remodeled in 1897, this is, internally, the most elaborate of the remaining theatres in Dublin. A plain facade with a cast-iron canopy hides an elaborate interior complete with its gods....

02 February 2010

1879 – Church of the Holy Cross, Dundrum, Co. Dublin

Architect: G.C. Ashlin Described in a contemporary account as ‘built as far as practicable on the lines of the old chapel only much larger and with [a?] wider transept’. Completed and ready for...

02 February 2010

1879 – St Matthew’s Royal Chapel, Irishtown, Dublin

Architect: J.F. Fuller Originally erected for the city Corporation in 1704-06, the tower was later added in 1713. The church was largely rebuilt in 1878-79 by J.F. Fuller, leaving the tower as the...

22 January 2010

1879 – Alms Houses Terrace, Clondalkin, Co. Dublin

Fine terrace of stone cottages in the old centre of Clondalkin, opposite the round tower and alongside the Church of Ireland. Constructed in 1879 in memory of Reverend David John Reade and this...

20 January 2010

1879 – Former Pembroke Town Hall, Merrion Road, Dublin

Architect: E.H. Carson Now used by the City of Dublin Vocational Education Committee, the former Pembroke Town Hall was designed by E.H. Carson, the father of Edward Carson, the Unionist Leader, in 1879....

07 January 2010

1879 – St. Mary’s Sunday School, Drogheda, Co. Louth

A small three bay building of rusticated limestone and brick trimmings opposite St Mary’s Church of Ireland. A plaque on the building announces that it was “Erected by Thomas Plunket Cairnes 1879″. It...

29 December 2009

1879 – Denton Hall, Grantham, Lincolnshire

Architect: Arthur W. Blomfield The original Denton Manor was a stone mansion, but nearly all rebuilt in 1816-17. In 1842, The Welby family took over and between 1879 and 83 rebuilt the house...