Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Linkedin Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

1880

10 December 2013

1880 – Chief Secretary’s Building, Macquarie St., Sydney, Australia

Architect: James Barnet Originally the Colonial Secretary’s Building, this sandstone building was the seat of colonial administration, has been used continuously by the Government of New South Wales, and even today holds the...

03 December 2013

1880 – House at Cambridge, Cambridgeshire

Architect: W.C. Marshall “This house has been erected at Cambridge for Mr. F.W. Hilyers, from the designs of Mr. W.C. Marshall, M.A., architect.” Published in The Building News, July 16 1880.

13 November 2013

1880 – Clarence River Light, New South Wales, Australia

Architect: James Barnet One of a range of lighthouses built to a similar design by James Barnet. Constructed in 1880, and demolished in 1956 after a new taller light was constructed.

01 April 2013

1880 – St Raphael’s College, Loughrea, Co. Galway

Architect: J.J. O’Callaghan Former Convent of Mercy complex, now is use as a school. Later wing by W.H. Byrne & Son. The chapel is now in use as school sports hall. Quite a...

22 March 2013

1880 – Royal Exchange Assurance Co., No. 5 College Green, Dublin

Architect: T.N. Deane & Son Office building in an Elizabethan Tudor style on the corner of College Green and Anglesea Street. Demolished in 1960s.

12 February 2013

1880 – Post Office, New York

Architect: Alfred B. Mullett Designed by architect Alfred B. Mullett for a triangular site across City Hall Park from New York City Hall. Built after an unsuccessful architectural competition where fifty-two designs were...

17 January 2013

1880 – Studio and Residence, Holland Park, London

Architect: George Aitchison “Last week we fully described this interesting house, at the same time giving plans, elevations, and a general perspective view. To-day our double-page plate illustrates the elaborate interior decorations of...

14 January 2013

1880 – Hawdon House, Hertfordshire

Architect: Ernest George & Peto “An interesting old building, bearing the date 1622 ; to this the architects have been adding a wing for Mr. Henry Eicardc, the owner. The choice of material...

03 January 2013

1880 – Field-Marshal Gough Statue, Phoenix Park, Dublin

Sculptor: John Henry Foley The statue was proposed in 1869, but Dublin Corporation turned down the various sites proposed including the then Carlisle Bridge, Foster Place and Westmoreland Street. At one stage, a...