Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

1880

09 June 2010

1880 – Parnell Bridge, Cork

Architect: T. Claxton Fiddler The old Anglesea Bridge, built in the 1830s, could not cope with the volume of traffic using the bridge by the 1870s. Cork Corporation decided to replace the old...

07 April 2010

1880 – O’Connell Monument, O’Connell Street, Dublin

Sculptor: John Henry Foley Built to commemorate the “Liberator” Daniel O’Connell (1775-1847) after whom the street was renamed after independence. The O’Connell monument was erected after a subscription list was opened in 1862....

05 February 2010

1880 – Glasshouse, Phoenix Park, Dublin

Substantial glasshouses in the walled garden of Farmleigh house.

05 February 2010

1880 – Water Tower, Phoenix Park, Dublin

Architect: J.F. Fuller The water tower was constructed in 1880 to the designs of J.F. Fuller. At this time Fuller was working at Ashford for the Earl of Iveagh’s brother and this tower...

30 January 2010

1880 – Alte Oper, Frankfurt

Architect: Richard Lucae Opened by Kaiser Wilhelm I in 1880, the building was financed by wealthy Frankfurt citizens and was designed in Italian Renaissance style by Richard Lucae. Destroyed in a 1944 air...

28 January 2010

1880 – Sutton Castle Hotel, Sutton, Co. Dublin

Architect: Alfred Darbyshire Designed by Manchester based architect Alfred Darbyshire as the main home for the Jameson family of the whiskey fame. Alfred Darbyshire had worked on their distillaries previously. The house is...

20 January 2010

1880 – O’Connell Bridge, Dublin

Architect: Bindon B. Stoney Originally designed and built by James Gandon, O’Connell Bridge was built in 1794-98 and named after the then Viceroy – Lord Carlisle. The original bridge had a hump and...

11 January 2010

1880 – Bute Hall, Glasgow University

Architect: John Oldrid Scott In 1870 a new-build campus was designed by Sir George Gilbert Scott in the Gothic revival style for Glasgow University replacing their traditional location. The largest of these buildings...

07 January 2010

1880 – St Peter’s Church, Drogheda, Co. Louth

Architect: O’Neill & Byrne The centerpiece of Drogheda north of the Boyne is the tall and graceful French Gothic church by O’Neill & Byrne. Set into the hillside, it is approached up a...