Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

1883

30 April 2010

1883 – Old Metropolitan Opera House, New York

Architect: J. Cleaveland Cady / Carrere & Hastings The Old Metropolitan Opera House was built in 1883 near Times Square, and was the first home of the Metropolitan Opera Company. Nicknamed “The Yellow...

27 April 2010

1883 – International Order of Odd Fellows, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architects: Hugh McCowan The Independent Order of Odd Fellows (I.O.O.F.) is a fraternal organization derived from English Odd Fellows orders of the mid-1700s. The Independent Order of Oddfellows constructed this three-storey structure as...

22 April 2010

1883 – Lieutenant Governor’s Residence, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: Thomas Scott In 1870, Manitoba entered Confederation and in 1872, the former Hudson’s Bay Company house at Upper Fort Garry was officially leased to the Dominion for use as the original home...

22 March 2010

1883 – House, Mottingham Park, Eltham, Kent

Architect: J.S. Moye Perspective view published in The Architect September 1st 1883.

27 January 2010

1883 – Royal Masonic Institution for Boys, Woodgreen, London

Architect: Dunk & Geden From 1798 there were two Masonic charities for clothing and educating sons of indigent Freemasons. The charities operated separately for nearly 60 years, each providing for the education of...

26 January 2010

1883 – St. Peter’s Church, Streatham, London

Architect: George Fellowes Prynne In 1882 the parochial committee instructed G. H. Fellowes Prynne to prepare designs for the completion of the church. His first plans (which are illustrated in The Builder, July...

26 January 2010

1883 – The Guild Hall, Nottingham

Architect: Verity & Hunt This imposing building was designed by London architects, Verity & Hunt and opened in 1888 at a cost of £97,000. Following a competition with Alfred Waterhouse as the judge,...

26 January 2010

1883 – Sinclairtown Town Hall and Library, Fife, Scotland

Architect: Campbell Douglas & Sellars The burghs of Pathhead, Linktown, Gallatown and Sinclairtown were amalgamated into the royal burgh of Kirkcaldy in 1876.

26 January 2010

1883 – Buffett & Central Offices, Royal Albert Dock, London

Architect: Vigers & Wagstaffe When the Royal Albert Dock opened to shipping in 1880, it was considered to be the finest dock system in the world. It was originally planned as an extension...

26 January 2010

1883 – New Church, Pilling, Lancashire

Architect: Paley & Austin Largely built as designed and illustrated, the church is still existing as St. John the Baptist. Considered to be one of Paley & Austin’s finest works and consecrated by...