Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Linkedin Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

1885

29 June 2010

1885 – O’Neill’s, Pearse Street, Dublin

Fine corner Victorian public house facade with four bays to Pearse Street, and six bays to Shaw Street. The shop facade is elaborate timber design with decorative tiles and mosaics, and a glazed...

23 June 2010

1885 – No.70, Ennismore Gardens, South Kensington, London

Architect: Basil Champneys Front Elevation including plans as published in The Building News, July 23rd 1886. This eclectic neo-Jacobean fa├žade, in red Fareham brick and Portland stone, contrasted sharply with the stodgier work...

18 June 2010

1885 – West Bromwich Union Workhouse, Staffordshire

Architect: Henman & Timmins Front Perspective including Plan as published in The Building News, March 27th 1885. Older parts of the workhouse have now been demolished but the infirmary and several surviving peripheral...

17 February 2010

1885 – Commercial Union Building, Grafton Street, Dublin

Architect: T.N. Deane & Son Designed in 1879 by Thomas Manly Deane of T.N Deane & Son as offices for the Commercial Union Assurance Company, this is a fine exercise in Scottish Baronial...

15 January 2010

1885 – Brackenwood House, Higher Bebington, Cheshire

Architect: Aston Webb Brackenwood is the name of the estate built behind Brackenwood House (now demolished) Higher Bebington, around 1950. The area is now an attractive open-plan estate with plenty of green areas...

12 January 2010

1885 – Church, Northallerton, Yorkshire

Architect: C. Hodgson Fowler There has likely been a church on this site since the 7th century, but there is no documentary evidence of any building before the present one. The first building...

10 December 2009

1885 – Notre Dame Cathedral, Ottawa, Ontario

Architect: Georges Buillon The first plan dates from 1839 but the work on the building’s structure was conducted between 1841 and 1865, and the interior ornamentation, from 1876 to 1885. Missionaries on temporary...

09 December 2009

1885 – Kensington Court, London

Architect: J.J. Stevenson Published in The Building News, 1886.

03 December 2009

1885 – Beecham’s Pills New Manufactory, St. Helens, Lancashire

Architect: H.V. Krolow Thomas Beecham, born in Oxfordshire in 1820, began selling his pills and cures as a travelling salesman in the 1840s. Moving first to Liverpool and then Wigan, Thomas bought property...