Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

1894

06 May 2014

1894 – Chancelot Flour Mills, Edinburgh

This grand sandstone building, with its distinctive four-face clock tower, was erected in 1891, beside Dalmeny Road in Bonnington, and dominated the area for many years. Following an explosion, the building was gutted...

21 April 2014

1894 – Great Northern Hotel, Bundoran, Co. Donegal

Architect: Sir Thomas Drew The opening of the Enniskillen and Bundoran Railway (E&BR) in 1868 connected Bundoran with Ireland’s growing railway network and made the town more accessible from Belfast, and Dublin. The...

01 January 2014

1894 – Department of Lands Building, Bridge St., Sydney, Australia

Architect: James Barnet / Walter L. Vernon Block bound by Bridge, Loftus, Bent and Gresham Streets and constructed in two stages by State architects James Barnet and his successor Walter Liberty Vernon. The...

06 December 2013

1894 – St. John’s Vicarage, Surrey Road, Bournemouth, Dorset

Architect: T. Stevens Published in The Building News, February, 1894.

08 August 2013

1894 – De La Salle College, Waterford, Co. Waterford

Architect: W.H. Byrne The De La Salle Brothers arrived in the city in 1870 and opened a successful primary school at Patrick Street in Waterford city. In 1887, the search began for a...

21 March 2013

1894 – Town Hall, Newry, Co. Down

Architect: William Batt Sited on a bridge over the river, and thus straddling the two counties that Newry connects. It took two architectural competitions to decide on a design for the new town...

11 June 2012

1894 – Ivydene, Little Switzerland, Douglas, Isle of Man

Architect: M. Baillie Scott House built in the area known as Little Switzerland. Perspective View including plan published in The Building News, March 9th 1894. Baillie Scott is famous for his architecture, interior...

29 November 2011

1894 – Norquay School, Lusted Avenue, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: George Creeford Browne Designed by local architect George Creeford Browne, the three-storey building was expanded in 1902, and further renovations were made in 1911 and 1920. It was demolished around 1956 and...

12 April 2011

1894 – Former Power’s Distillery Warehouse, Thomas St., Dublin

Architect: William Mitchell Former warehouse and entrance archway for Power’s Distillery, now the National College of Art & Design.