Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Linkedin Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

1896

09 July 2014

1896 – Railway Station, Carnalea, Co. Down

Architect: George P. Culverwell First opened by the B.C.D.R. (Belfast & County Down Railway) in 1877 with only an up platform, and a brake van as an office. The company built a station...

13 June 2014

1896 – All Souls Church, Elmwood Avenue, Belfast

Architect: George W. Planck Second Presbyterian Congregation founded in 1708, with the York Street Congregation founded in 1840. Present building largely completed in 1896. Design chosen after an architectural competition in 1895 –...

04 April 2014

1896 – Railway Station, Trooperslane, Co. Antrim

Architect: Berkeley Deane Wise Constructed in 1896 to replace an earlier 1840s building, Wise’s design for the Belfast and Northern Counties Railway was a highly picturesque station in brick and timber. Demolished in...

03 April 2014

1896 – Proposal for Carfax Tower, Oxford

Architect: Henry T. Hare Unbuilt proposal to remodel the medieval Carfax Tower in central Oxford after the demolition of the main body of the attached church in 1896. The Tower is all that...

12 February 2014

1896 – St. Enoch Subway Station, Glasgow

Architect:James Miller The Subway’s most distinctive building – an ornate, Jacobean, late Victorian red sandstone structure; designed by James Miller in 1896. Originally housed both a booking office and the headquarters of the...

03 February 2014

1896 – Premises, Gosfield St., London

Architect: W. Hargreaves Raffles “The above building contains the sets of small flats of two and three rooms each, with a separate w.c. to each set of rooms. On the top of the...

25 January 2014

1896 – Design for Belfast City Hall

Architect: Stark & Rowntree Premiated design in architectural competition to design new City Hall for Belfast. Mr. (afterwards Sir) Brumwell Thomas was selected, and work began in 1898 and was completed in 1906.

19 January 2014

1896 – Corn Exchange, Glasgow, Scotland

Architect: W.F. McGibbon Demolished to make way for an office building in the 1960s, itself demolished in 2008.

04 January 2014

1896 – Collegiate Institute & Normal College, Hamilton, Ontario

Architect: William Stewart When it opened in 1896, it was known as the Collegiate Institute and Ontario Normal College. The Normal College was ateacher training school, and was relocated from this building in...