Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

1898

11 May 2014

1898 – Wayfarers Arcade, Southport, Lancashire

Architect: Hurst & Bolshaw The Arcade first opened in October 1898 and was originally called the Leyland Arcade, after Southport MP, Sir Herbert Leyland. The arcade was the idea of John Humphrey Plummer,...

09 May 2014

1898 – New Palace Theatre, and Great Western Hotel, Plymouth

Architect: J.T. Wimperis & Arber Unlike many Victorian buildings, this 1898 theatre survived the blitz on Plymouth during the Second World War and operated as a nightclub until 2006. Now increasingly derelict and...

07 May 2014

1898 – Design for Guildhall, Cambridge

Architect: John Belcher Unbuilt design for a new Guildhall for Cambridge. The present Guildhall in Cambridge, was completed in 1939, to the designs of Charles Cowles-Voysey. “Our first review of the architecture at...

07 May 2014

1898 – Grand Theatre, Luton, Bedfordshire

Architect: Charles Herbert Shoppee Built adjacent to the swimming baths of 1872, the Grand Theatre was opened on 10th December 1898 with a performance by Lily Langtree. It was designed by London based...

06 May 2014

1898 – Technical School, Bootle, Lancashire

Architect: Best & Callon “This building is to be erected on a site adjoining the public baths. It is to be in red brick, with terracotta dressings, the roof covered with Westmoreland slates....

01 May 2014

1898 – School & Swimming Baths, Chesterfield, Derbyshire

Architect: A. Hessell Tiltman & Cecil Jackson “The building shown by the view and groundplan illustrated in this issue is now in course of erection for the Chesterfield School Board, from the designs...

01 May 2014

1898 – Shop, Tunstall, Staffordshire

Architect: Wood & Hutchings “These shops have recently been erected in the High-street, Tunstall, for Sir. James Lindop. They are faced with red pressed bricks, with tile hanging and rough castwork in the...

01 May 2014

1898 – Houghton Grange, Huntingdon, Cambridgeshire

Architect: James Ransome Houghton Grange has lain empty for over 25 years since the poultry research business who used it for decades along with rest of the estate closed. It is now in...

01 May 2014

1898 – Board Schools, Yeovil, Somerset

Architect: J. Nicholson Johnston “These schools, which cost 1,390, arc built of brick with Hum stone dressings, and have accommodation for 600 scholars — 200 infants and 400 mixed. They are planned on...


Skip to toolbar