Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

1898

12 February 2014

1898 – Post Office, Newry, Co. Down

Architect: Robert Cochrane Quite grand and imposing post office with residence for a caretaker. Demolished and replaced by a building that can only be described as complete and utter rubbish.

11 February 2014

1898 – Village Shops, Port Sunlight, Cheshire

Architect: Grayson & Ould “The distinguishing feature beyond the notable extent of the undertaking is the picturesque and varied character of their buildings, several leading architects having been engaged by the proprietors for...

08 February 2014

1898 – Chapel, Workhouse, Nottingham

Architect: Arthur Marshall Following the demolition of the Nottingham Union workhouse in the 1890s to make way for the Victoria Station (itself since closed and demolished), a new workhouse was built at Bagthorpe...

08 February 2014

1898 – Proposed Fountain, Queens Park, Burnley, Lancashire

Architect: J.W. Boyd The Park is Grade 2 listed by English Heritage, and the fountain still exists today. “In the competition held recently, this design was placed first in order of merit. It...

04 February 2014

1898 – Reckitt & Sons, Hull, Yorkshire

Architect: Gelder & Kitchen “This new block of offices, &c., is now in course of erection in Danaon’s-lane, Hull, adjoining the extensive starch and blue works of Messrs. Reckitt and Sons, Limited, having...

04 February 2014

1898 – Queen’s Theatre, Leeds, Yorkshire

Architect: Hope & Maxwell The Queen’s Theatre auditorium could accommodate 3,500 people, and as reported in the Leeds Mercury, ‘the interior decorations, and the appearance of the theatre will be found not only...

04 February 2014

1898 – Victoria Hotel, Harrogate, Yorkshire

Architect: Albert E. Kirk “The Victoria Hotel, Harrogate, is situated at the corner of Coldbath-road and the Esplanade, facing the Stray. It will be seen that the old building is of very simple...

03 February 2014

1898 – T.H. Brooke Hitchings, 229-247 Regent St., London

Architect: G.D. Martin The block occupies the site of the former Hanover Chapel. Now known as Regent House, the central domed block, was designed by G D Martin for T H Brooke-Hitchings. The...

03 February 2014

1898 – Royal Music Hall, Holborn, London

Architect: Ernest Runtz Originally opened as Weston’s Music Hall on 16 November 1857 at 242-245 High Holborn. The theatre was renamed the Royal Music Hall in 1868, and then changed names again in...