Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

1904

28 April 2010

1904 – Eaton’s Department Store, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architects: John Woodman For years the focal point of downtown Winnipeg, the former Eatons Department Store has been demolished to make way for a much criticised entertainment complex. Fortunately the linked Eaton Place...

22 April 2010

1904 – Union Tower, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: Darling & Pearson The oldest Chicago School skyscraper still standing in Western Canada was built for the Union Bank of Canada and once boasted the tallest flagpole in the British Empire. The...

21 April 2010

1904 – Codville and Company, Bannatyne Avenue, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Amalgamated into the Ashdown Building in 1911, the former Codville and Company warehouse had two floors added to it so that it formed a continuous wall with the rest of the Ashdown Building....

21 February 2010

1904 – Storehouse, St. James’s Gate, Dublin

Architect: A.H. Hignett / RKD Architects Now known as the Storehouse (the Guinness Visitor Centre), for many years this building was under threat of demolition, lying empty and disused. Ironically, only the cost...

19 February 2010

1904 – Fusilier’s Arch, St. Stephen’s Green, Dublin

Architect: J. Howard Pentland A war memorial to the dead of the Dublin Fusiliers, this is regarded as the main entrance to the park of Stephen’s Green. The names of the dead are...

17 February 2010

1904 – Former Bank, Grafton Street, Dublin

Architect: W.H. Lynn Fabulous over-the-top facade with polished marble columns spanning two floors over a heavy sandstone ground floor. Constructed for the Royal Bank of Ireland.

10 February 2010

1904 – Iveagh Trust Housing, Patrick Street, Dublin

Architect: Joseph & Smithem This was the single largest piece of urban renewal in Edwardian Dublin, and was commissioned by the Earl of Iveagh to clean up the slums that surrounded St Patrick’s...

02 February 2010

1904 – Former School, Irishtown, Dublin

Architect: J.F. Fuller In use for many years as a gospel hall, the congregation moved here from the more elaborate Merrion Hall in the city centre. Formerly the St. Matthew’s National Schools, built...

27 January 2010

1904 – Methodist Church, Dun Laoghaire, Co. Dublin

Architect: George F. Beckett In a town of spires and towers, this small Methodist Church on Northumberland Avenue has neither. A simple gothic revival design with interesting massing of entrances in relation to...