Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

1911

07 May 2010

1911 – 113 Market Avenue Great West Saddlery Building, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: William Wallace Blair From its heavy brick exterior to its masonry base, the building screams solidity. And it is. The structure is concrete with a brick facade. The brickwork has some nice...

27 April 2010

1911 – 212 McDermot – Lake of the Woods Building, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: John H.G. Russell Built in 1901 of red brick, its location was selected because of its closeness to the Grain Exchange on Princess. Built in stages, all designed by John H. G....

22 April 2010

1911 – Hydro Sub Station No.1, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: Smith, Kerry & Chace City Light & Power Company, the first public utility in Western Canada, began operation in 1911. From a generating station on the Winnipeg River electricity flowed through this...

22 April 2010

1911 – Garry Block, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: Pratt & Ross Fine heritage building that is obviously well cared for. Originally built for the Mortgage Company of Canada, as the Belgica Block. Like many Winnipeg buildings, the main design effort...

21 April 2010

1911 – Ashdown Warehouse, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: S. Frank Peters The English-born James H. Ashdown was probably Winnipeg’s best-known businessman and he first arrived in the Red River settlement via Ontario in 1868. He purchased a tinsmith shop in...

21 April 2010

1911 – Whitla Building, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architects: James H. Cadham / John H.G. Russell 70 Arthur was completed in 1899, by Cadham who also made a major addition in 1906. John H. G. Russell made another major addition in...

15 April 2010

1911 – Firehall No.14 , Lipton St., Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architects: Alexander Melville In 1903 the firm of A. and W. Melville, architects and civil engineers, began operation. This company was responsible for numerous buildings in and around the city. An incomplete list...

14 April 2010

1911 – Firehall No. 12, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architects: Alexander & William Melville Alexander Melville was born in Fraserburgh, Scotland in 1873 and received his architectural and civil engineering degrees in Aberdeen. In 1903 he settled in Winnipeg and immediately set...

14 April 2010

1911 – St Ignatius Roman Catholic Church, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architects: H.J. Rill / Northwood & Chivers Completed in 1911 by H.J. Rill, with further work by Northwood & Chivers in 1928. St. Ignatius has a fine interior with small aisles but no...