Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

1920

20 March 2014

1920 – Capitol Theatre, Princes Street, Dublin

Architect: T.F. McNamara The Capitol Theatre, located just off O’Connell Street, Dublin, began life on 10 August 1920 as the La Scala Theatre and Opera House. Constructed on the former site of Freeman’s...

27 November 2013

1920 – Selected Design for Witwatersrand University, Johannesburg, South Africa

Architect: Frank Emley In 1920 Frank Emley entered into partnership with Frederick Williamson having won the competition for the design of the main building of the University of the Witwatersrand with a proposal...

25 July 2013

1920 – Storage Building, West India Docks, London

Architect: Sir Thomas Edwin Cooper Published in The Building News, July 30 1920: “Tho simple treatment of this utilitarian building is unmistakably appropriate. The elevations avoid needless elaboration, and are marked b.y arcliitec-tural...

16 July 2013

1920 – Monument Telephone Exchange, Tower St., London

Architect: Edward Cropper Still in use today, and externally largely as illustrated. From The Building News, September 17 1920: “Declarations were made for the erection of this building in 1914-15. but. owing to...

07 July 2013

1920 – Gresham House, Old Broad St., London

Architect: W.T. Hanman Demolished when the area was cleared to make way for the NatWest Tower now Tower 42. Published in The Building News, August 6 1920: “The illustration shows the Broad Street...

01 July 2013

1919 – “The Hollies”, Enfield, London

Architect: Hart & Waterhouse Published in The Building News, July 2 1919: “This is a house erected during the war, being contrived to save labour, and everything kept very simple. The site was...

31 May 2013

1920 – Magnet House, Kingsway, London

Architect: R. Frank Atkinson Constructed for the General Electric Co., and extended over the years. Sold in later 1950s and demolished shortly after. Replaced by a building, also called Magnet House, by Richard...

30 May 2013

1920 – Community Buildings, Whiteley Village, Burhill, Surrey

Architect: Aston Webb In 1907 the wealthy owner of a large Bayswater department store, William Whiteley, was shot dead by a young man claiming to be his illegitimate son. In his will he...

30 May 2013

1920 – Church of St. John the Divine, Earlsfield, Surrey

Architect: Greenaway & Newberry From The Building News, October 29 1920: “This church is to be erected on a corner site at the junction of Tinrratt Lane and Beildon Valley. It consists of...