Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Abbey Street Dublin

12 March 2014

1875 – W.H. Smith & Co., Middle Abbey Street, Dublin

Architect: Alfred G. Jones Built at Nos. 79-80 Middle Abbey Street for W.H. Smith whose assets and business in Ireland was eventually taken over by Charles Eason and Son in 1886. Probably a...

07 March 2014

1877 – Christian Union Buildings, Abbey Street, Dublin

Architect: Alfred G. Jones The Christian Union Buildings in Lower Abbey Street were erected on the site of the Metropolitan Hall, formerly the Music Hall. The Metropolitan was a centre of Evangelicalism in...

06 May 2013

1968 – Former Curzon Cinema, Abbey Street, Dublin

Architect: Henry J. Lyons & Partners Opened as the Curzon Cinema, and later the Lighthouse, the entrance foyer to this cinema was distinctly modern. A converted warehouse, it contained two theatres, and was...

09 January 2012

1824 – Royal Hibernian Academy, Lower Abbey St., Dublin

Architect: Francis Johnston Francis Johnston, in his retirement, funded and designed this building for the Royal Hibernian Academy. The building had keystones on the ground floor by John Smyth representing Palladio, Michaelangelo and...

23 September 2010

1980 – Irish Life Centre, Abbey Street, Dublin

Architect: Robinson Keefe Devane A large development on the old Brooks Thomas yards consisting of blocks of various heights around courtyards both at streetlevel and raised. All the blocks have copper clad mansard...

08 April 2010

1938 – Former Aldephi Cinema, Abbey Street, Dublin

Architect: W.R. Glen Open until the early 1990s, the Adelphi was demolished and part of its façade retained to provide car parking for the expanded Arnott’s Department Store. Not only was the fine...

08 April 2010

1924 – Independent House, Abbey Street, Dublin

Architect: Robert Donnelly The former headquarters of the Independent Group of newspapers who publish three of Ireland’s most popular titles: The Irish Independent; The Sunday Independent; and the Evening Herald. It is an...

08 April 2010

1919 – Easons, Abbey Street, Dublin

Architect: T.J. Ruthven Destroyed in the 1916 Rising, this is the Abbey Street façade of their O’Connell Street store. An austere stone finish with shallow relief decoration masks a steel structure.

08 April 2010

1917 – Manfield Chambers, Abbey Street, Dublin

Architect: Batchelor & Hicks On the corner of O’Connell Street and Middle Abbey Street, Manfield Chambers is a commercial premises with a branch of Clarks on the ground level and various offices above....

Pages:12Next »