Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Linkedin Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Abbeyleix

20 February 2014

1773 – Abbeyleix House, Abbeyleix, Co. Laois

Architect: James Wyatt A seven-bay, three-storey over basement with dormer attic Classical-style country house, begun 1773, with a pedimented breakfront having a cut stone Doric door-case to the ground floor. Originally brick, later...

15 November 2013

1840 – Pembroke Row, Abbeyleix, Co. Laois

When the 3rd Viscount de Vesci married Lady Emma Hubert, daughter of the Earl of Pembroke and Montgomery. The Earl built this stone terrace of houses for the town as part of his...

01 March 2010

2009 – Abbeyleix Library, Co. Laois

Architect: deBlacam & Meagher Historically there are four phases of development of the Market House, the original retangular plan with a small central capola on the ridge, the 1890′s re-construction in a rural...

06 January 2010

1909 – Bank of Ireland, Abbeyleix, Co. Laois

Architect: J.P. Wren A wonderfully eccentric design for the Hibernian Bank which mixes a myriad of architectural features. The small tower with corner window and copper dome is the entrance to the manager’s...

06 January 2010

1906 – Market House, Abbeyleix, Co. Laois

Unusual market house from the early twentieth century in a curious hybrid of styles. Shown prior to its conversion to a library by deBlacam & Meagher Architects.

06 January 2010

1895 – Church, Abbeyleix, Co. Laois

Architect: William Hague Designed by prominent church architect William Hague, this church of 1896 is attached to an earlier convent. A cruciform plan, the tower and spire is attached to the southern transept,...

06 January 2010

1860 – de Vesci Memorial, Abbeyleix, Co. Laois

Architect: J.S. Butler A robust and rustic obelisk in the middle of the market square dedicated to the 2nd Viscount de Vesci.

06 January 2010

1865 – Church of Ireland, Abbeyleix, Co. Laois

Architect: John Semple / T.H. Wyatt Originally designed by John Semple in 1825, only the western end with his trademark austerity survives. The rest is from 1865 by T.H. Wyatt. Semple’s church was...