Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Linkedin Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Armagh

28 September 2009

18th C – Bank of Ireland, Upper English St., Armagh, Co. Armagh

A recently refurbished house typical of many built in this area of the city centre by successive Archbishops improving the city. Originally a townhouse, and later a hotel, this has been converted to...

28 September 2009

1834 – County Museum, Armagh, Co. Armagh

Architect: William Murray Now housing the County Museum, this small pedimented building with twin entrances on either side was originally built as a small meeting house. Cleanly detailed with tall thin roundheaded windows.

28 September 2009

1780 – Former Jail, Armagh, Co. Armagh

Architect: Thomas Cooley / William Murray The old jail building is sited at the opposite end of the Mall from the Courthouse. This must have made for a depressing last journey from sentencing,...

28 September 2009

1827 – Shambles Market, Armagh, Co. Armagh

Architect: Francis Johnston Market yards designed for the sale of hay, animals and other agricultural products, the clocktower and wall along the eastern side of the site was designed by Francis Johnston in...

28 September 2009

1815 – Market House, Armagh, Co. Armagh

Architect: Thomas Duff On a steeply sloped site in Market Square, the former Market House featured an open arcade of arches at ground level (to the rear of the façade above). Later the...

28 September 2009

1809 – Courthouse, Armagh, Co. Armagh

Architect: Francis Johnston The courthouse by Francis Johnston is a relatively simple affair and should be compared with the larger Courthouse built in nearby Monaghan only twenty years later. Armagh Courthouse is a...

28 September 2009

1774 – Former Hospital, Armagh, Co. Armagh

Architect: George Ensor Built as the city hospital in 1774, and now an outreach campus for Queens University Belfast. Deceptively small, the ground falls away behind the main façade to allow for more...

28 September 2009

1771 – Public Library, Armagh, Co. Armagh

Architect: Thomas Cooley Fabulous Library building on an awkward sloping corner site by Thomas Cooley, the architect of Dublin’s City Hall which was started just two years earlier. Like City Hall, the library...

25 September 2009

1724 – Vicar’s Hill, Armagh, Co. Armagh

Built by Archbishop Boulter in 1724 as accomodation for clegy widows, this intact terrace facing the west front of the Church of Ireland Cathedral has fine Gibbsian door surrounds.