Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Linkedin Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Australia

01 December 2013

1925 – Commercial Banking Company of Sydney, George St., Sydney, Australia

Architect: Kent & Massie This building was designed by architects Kent and Massie as the headquarters of the Commercial Banking Company of Sydney. Completed in two stages in 1923 and 1925, it replaced...

20 November 2013

1938 – The Henry Davis York Building, Martin Place, Sydney, Australia

Architect: Bates Smart & McCutcheon A 11-storey art-deco building on the corner of Castlereagh Street and Martin Place. It was the former headquarters of the Mutual Life and Citizens Assurance Co, a large...

20 November 2013

1824 – St. James Church, King St., Sydney, Australia

Architect: Francis Greenway The church came about through a series of unusual events. In 1819 convict and civil architect Francis Greenway was asked to design a courthouse for Governor Lachlan Macquarie. At that...

20 November 2013

1884 – Australasian Steam Navigation Co., Sydney, Australia

Architect: William Wardell Combined warehouses and offices for the Australasian Steam Navigation Company on the waterfront of The Rocks area of Sydney. With the prominent tower as landmark and the Dutch-inspired gables, these...

20 November 2013

1886 – English, Scottish & Australian Bank, The Rocks, Sydney, Australia

Architect: William Wardell Constructed from sandstone and designed in the Gothic Revival style by prominent architect William Wardell, this a rare Sydney example of the secular use of this type of architecture which...

20 November 2013

1882 – Former Police Station, The Rocks, Sydney, Australia

Architect: James Barnet Beautiful sandstone facade on this well maintained heritage building, and considered to be one of State Architect James Barnet’s best small-scale works. It was one of the two major stations...

18 November 2013

1816 – Cadmans Cottage, The Rocks, Sydney, Australia

Cadmans Cottage is the oldest surviving residential building in Sydney, having been built in 1816 for the use of the governmental coxswains and their crews. Originally constructed on the shoreline, the waterline has...

16 November 2013

1908 – The Observer Hotel, The Rocks, Sydney, Australia

Architect: Halligan & Wilton A pub has stood on this site since 1848. Built in the Federation Free Style Art Nouveau in 1908 by architects Halligan & Wilton, this brick hotel is now...

15 November 2013

1845 – Government House, Sydney, Australia

Architect: Edward Blore / Mortimer Lewis The Governor of the colony of New South Wales was the British monarch’s representative and it was considered fitting that a grand residence be built to reflect...