Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Australia

15 November 2013

1910 – The Mitchell Library, NSW Library, Sydney, Australia

Architect: Walter L. Vernon Work on the Mitchell Wing began in 1906 and finished in 1910 based on designs prepared by Walter Liberty Vernon, the Head of the Government Architect’s Branch. The Mitchell...

15 November 2013

1935 – St Stephen’s Church, Macquarie St., Sydney, Australia

Architect: Reid & Munro Originally, a Presbyterian church, St Stephen’s is now part of the Uniting Church of Australia following the amalgamation of the Presbyterian, Wesleyan and Congregational churches in 1977. Built on...

15 November 2013

1840 – The Garrison Church, The Rocks, Sydney, Australia

Architect: Henry Ginn “The builder was Edward Flood and accepted price for materials is interesting to scan, Bricks were 2/15 a thousand. A labourer worked 10 hours for 5/- a week while the...

15 November 2013

1935 – Department of Railways, 17 York St., Sydney, Australia

Architect: Budden & Mackey Constructed as the administrative home of the New South Wales State Railways. The new headquarters, on York Street above the recently completed Wynyard Station, facing Wynyard Square, opened in...

15 November 2013

1930 – Plaza Theatre, George St., Sydney, Australia

Architect: Eric Heath A heritage listed building designed as a 2000-seat cinema by Eric Heath during a golden age of cinema-going in Australia and was opened on 11 April 1930. In 1977 the...

15 November 2013

1884 – Frazer Memorial Fountain, Sydney, Australia

Architect: Thomas Sapsford Donated to the City of Sydney by the Hon. John Frazer, MLC (1827-84), a merchant, company director and philanthropist. In 1881 Frazer agreed to finance the design and erection of...

14 November 2013

2012 – Museum of Contemporary Art, Sydney, Australia

Architect: Sam Marshall A major $53 million redevelopment of the MCA by Sydney architect Sam Marshall in association with the New South Wales Government Architect’s Office commenced in August 2010. The refurbished building,...

14 November 2013

1930 – BMA House, 137 Macquarie St., Sydney, Australia

Architect: Fowell & McConnel The BMA Building at 12 stories was one of the tallest built in Sydney during the 1920s. Constructed as medical chambers for the New South Wales branch of the...

14 November 2013

1849 – Former Treasury Building, Macquarie St., Sydney, Australia

Architect: Mortimer Lewis & Walter L. Vernon Now subsumed into a large modern hotel complex l, this former government office was built in two stages, beginning with the Treasury (the Bridge St corner)...