Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Australia

07 September 2009

1952 – Museum of Contemporary Art, Sydney, Australia

Architect: W.H. Withers / W.D.H. Baxter Government architect W.H. Withers began work on the building plans in 1939 for the Maritime Services Board (MSB) building. Work resumed in 1944 under government architect W.D.H....

07 September 2009

1932 – Harbour Bridge, Sydney, Australia

Architect: J.J.C. Bradfield It was as early as 1815 that Francis Greenway proposed building a bridge from the northern to the southern shore of the harbour. It took some time for this to...

07 September 2009

1889 – Sydney Town Hall, New South Wales

Architect: John H. Wilson, Edward Bell, Albert Bond, David McBeath In architectural style, the Sydney Town Hall is French Second Empire, deriving inspiration for its motifs, roofscapes and elaborate interiors from the Louvre...

07 September 2009

1862 – University of Sydney, Main Quadrangle

Architect: Edmund Thomas Blacket The architect Edmund Blacket designed the original Neogothic sandstone Quadrangle and Great Tower buildings, which were completed in 1862. While famous for his churches, and sometimes referred to as...

07 September 2009

1900c – Uniting Church, Narooma, New South Wales

Regarded as an excellent example of the Australian Federation Carpenter Gothic architectural style. The decorative gable truss structures at the end of the nave and the small porch are of note. The bell...

07 September 2009

1884 – St. Saviour’s Cathedral, Goulburn, New South Wales

Architect: Edmund Thomas Blacket About the size of a large English parish church in “Decorated Gothic”, St. Saviour’s is cruciform, having a nave, transepts with chapels, a choir and a sanctuary. It was...

07 September 2009

1901 – Cape Byron Lighthouse, New South Wales, Australia

Architect: Charles Harding The Cape Byron Lighthouse is Australia’s most easterly light being situated on the most easterly point of the mainland. It is also Australia’s most powerful Lighthouse. It is built in...

07 September 2009

1851 – St. Francis Xavier Church, Berrima, New South Wales

Architect: Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin This is Pugin’s only intact and essentially unaltered building in Australia. In its layout and permanent liturgical furnishings”‚ÄĚpiscina, sedilia, Easter sepulchre recess, provision for a Doom painting (the...

07 September 2009

1835 – Courthouse, Berrima, New South Wales

Architect: Mortimer Lewis The facade consists of four Doric columns with classic Greek bases and capitals. Above is a stone architrave of three courses, the topmost of which protrudes to form the base...