Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Balbriggan

19 December 2012

1870s – Loreto Convent, Balbriggan, Co. Dublin

Although a convent and school still exists on this site, the buildings illustrated are either gone or unrecognisable. The school was started in 1857 when they took over the house with curved bays...

21 January 2010

1844 – Courthouse, Balbriggan, Co. Dublin

Fine small stone courthouse with courtroom lit by three round-headed windows.

21 January 2010

1891 – National Irish Bank, Balbriggan, Co. Dublin

Architect: Godfrey W. Ferguson Terraced four-bay two-storey limestone faced bank, built 1891, with a fine tripartite bow window. But the real job of the facade is the front door; a deep eliptical headed...

21 January 2010

1905 – Carnegie Library, Balbriggan, Co. Dublin

Architect: George L. O’Connor Built in 1905 on a prominent corner site, the Carnegie Free library was designed by George L. O’Connor. Its dominant feature is the corbelled circular in plan, bartizan clock...

21 January 2010

1860 – Ardgillan Glasshouse, Balbriggan, Co. Dublin

Dating from around 1860, this fine and recently restored glasshouse is made of timber rather than cast iron. The glasshouses are set in the gardens of Ardgillan Castle and are open to the...

21 January 2010

1860 – Station Master’s House, Balbriggan, Co. Dublin

A fine little house sited beside the railway station and built for the Station Master. Similar to other station master’s houses on this line, notably Malahide and Skerries. Photographic Copyright 2006 Gerry Byrne

21 January 2010

1859 – St George’s School, Balbriggan, Co. Dublin

Architect: Sandham Symes St George’s Parish (Church of Ireland) school, Hampton Street, Balbriggan was provided in 1859 by George Woods of Milverton Hall to the design of Sandham Symes.

21 January 2010

1853 – Railway Station, Balbriggan, Co. Dublin

Architect: George Papworth A single-storey Italianate style railway station, built 1853, with three-bay central limestone entrance porch flanked by advanced pedimented single-bays. Not as large as others on this line, but the building...

21 January 2010

1813 – St. George’s Church of Ireland, Balbriggan, Co. Dublin

Architect: Welland & Gillespie Detached early Gothic Revival Church of Ireland church, built in 1813, on a T-shaped plan comprising of three-bay nave transversed at third bay by single-bay transepts to east. In...

Pages:12Next »