Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Linkedin Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Ballinasloe

15 April 2013

1851 – Railway Station, Ballinasloe, Co. Galway

Architect: George Wilkinson Designed by George Wilkinson for the Midland Great Western Railway in a picturesque Tudor, complete with a variety of tall chimneys and crisp stonework. Photograph courtesy, and copyright of Keith...

15 April 2013

1864 – Convent of Mercy Chapel, Society St., Ballinasloe, Co. Galway

Architect: James F. Kempster Gothic chapel designed by the County Surveypr for the Sisters of Mercy convent. The spire on the short tower is quite distinctive. Photograph courtesy, and copyright of Keith J....

15 April 2013

1931 – Our Lady of Lourdes Church, Creagh, Ballinasloe, Co. Galway

Architect: Ralph H. Byrne Built from fabric of earlier church of c.1850 from Custume Barracks in Athlone, that was dismantled (to be replaced by a new church) and extended by Ralph H. Byrne....

15 April 2013

1833 – St Brigid’s Psychiatric Hospital, Ballinasloe, Co. Galway

Architect: William Murray / James F. Kempster Formerly known as Ballinasloe District Asylum. Originally designed by William Murray, as a “1st class” asylum with accommodation for 150 patients. Later extended by James F....

15 April 2013

1863 – Railway Hotel, Ballinasloe, Co. Galway

Architect: James F. Kempster Designed by the County Surveyor for the East Riding of Co. Galway – Kempster got the post aged twenty-one and held it for fifty-three years. A small Tudor-Gothic building,...

13 January 2013

1836 – Bank of Ireland, Ballinasloe, Co. Galway

Large branch bank for Bank of Ireland with outbuildings and living accommodation. Still in use today with extensions to the banking hall from the 1920s. Source: Album of surveys of all the branches...

16 August 2012

1858 – St. Michael’s Church, Ballinasloe, Co. Galway

Architect: Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin Originally was to be designed after a competition by J.J. McCarthy in 1846. The project was abandoned due to the Famine. A revised designed by Augustus Welby Northmore...

15 August 2012

1843 – St. John the Evangelist Church, Ballinasloe, Co. Galway

Architect: Joseph Welland Erected in 1840 on top of a Norman motte. Designed by the architect Joseph Welland with a fine pinnacled tower. Destroyed by fire in 1899, but restored shortly afterwards.

30 December 2009

1404c – Clontuskert Abbey, Ballinasloe, Co. Galway

The first monastery founded here by St. Baeten in the late 7th century no longer exists. The current ruins date from the late 12th century onwards. After a fire in 1404, the buildings...