Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Bangor

30 September 2014

1831 – Presbyterian Church, Bangor, Co. Down

Situated on Main Street in Bangor, the First Presbyterian Church is a fine church building constructed in stages. The main body of the church was constructed in 1831 with the tower and steeple...

07 April 2014

1899 – Homes of Rest, Bangor, Co. Down

Architect: William Roome “THE building known as “The Rest for Girls” at Bangor has proved such a success that the committee decided upon erecting two similar homes, one for men and lads, and...

31 December 2012

1893 – Grand Hotel, Bangor, Co. Down

Former landmark on the Bangor waterfront – now replaced with a more modern hotel building. Opened as an hotel in the early 1890s with a ballroom to the rear. By 1930 the Hotel...

30 December 2012

1932 – Royal Hotel, Bangor, Co. Down

Architect: L.H. Hodgins Seafront hotel with corner turret, designed by a local architect. Compare with the New Savoy Hotel of a similar date for a contrast in architectural styles.

30 December 2012

1852 – Bangor Castle, Co. Down

Architect: William Burn This imposing building was built for Robert Edward Ward and his family in 1852. It is now (since the 1950s) the headquarters of North Down Borough Council who use the...

30 December 2012

1933 – Savoy Hotel, Bangor, Co. Down

Architect: John McBride Neill The Savoy Hotel was built in 1932 for Mr J. Gaston of Northern Ireland Tours and was extended and refaced in 1933 by architect John McBride Neill. It boasted...

31 October 2012

1899 – Royal Ulster Yacht Club, Bangor, Co. Down

Architect: Vincent Craig Fine club building overlooking the bay. The Club building is listed by the Department of Environment as a building of historic interest.

27 September 2012

1936 – The Tonic Cinema, Bangor, Co. Down

Architect: John McBride Neill Designed by the foremost cinema architect in Northern Ireland, and considered his masterpiece, The Tonic was the largest Cinema in Ireland with 2,001 seats at the time. The Tonic...

02 July 2012

1910 – Carnegie Library & Technical School, Bangor, Co. Down

Architect: E.L. Woods One of the fine public librarys funded in part by Andrew Carnegie’s foundation, constructed started in 1909, with the building opened by Lord Londonderry in 1910. By 1919, 81 per...

Pages:12Next »