Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Linkedin Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

banks

28 April 2010

1927 – Former Bank of Montreal, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: Kenneth Guscotte Rea Fine little classical bank building nestled into a block of Portage Avenue. Now the offices of the Downtown Biz association, the building has fine Corinthian capitals on crisply incised...

28 April 2010

1967 – Royal Bank Building, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: Smith Carter Searle Associates Large office building above a podium storey. The rectangular grid of the prefabricated cladding is pleasing to the viewer, if stark. The ground floor which acts as a...

22 April 2010

1904 – Union Tower, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: Darling & Pearson The oldest Chicago School skyscraper still standing in Western Canada was built for the Union Bank of Canada and once boasted the tallest flagpole in the British Empire. The...

22 April 2010

1903 – Newmac Building, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: Taylor & Gordon The Bank of British North America at 436 Main Street is the only neo-Palladian banking hall remaining in Winnipeg, and is probably the oldest structure of its type on...

22 April 2010

1912 – Union Trust Tower, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: John D. Atchison The Union Trust Tower occupies an unusually long and narrow site at the corner of Lombard Avenue and Main Street. The long and narrow shape of the property had...

22 April 2010

1909 – Canada Permanent Building, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: John D. Atchison This red sandstone building was for many years the home of the Canada Permanent Trust Company. Built in 1909, the ground floor contained offices and banking facilities with additional...

16 April 2010

1887 – Northern Bank, Royal Avenue, Belfast, Co. Antrim

Architect: John Lanyon No longer a bank, this fine building was constructed in Dungannon Sandstone with polished granite details including columns. As well as the usual accommodation for the bank branch manager, the...

14 April 2010

1934 – Former Bank of Toronto, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: Northwood & Chivers Former branch office of the Bank of Toronto, this small building is now in use as offices. Its main architectural feature is the incised lettering above the main entrance.

13 April 2010

1899 – Louis Copeland, Nos. 40-41 Capel Street, Dublin

Architect: Kaye-Parry & Ross Originally built as a bank, a branch of the Provincial Bank, hence the unusual shopfront, this building at 40-41 Capel Street has been remodeled several times. Extended as a...