Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

banks

01 July 2013

1873 – National Safe Deposit Company, Queen Victoria Street, London

Architect: John Whichcord Incorporated in May 1872 as the National Safe Deposit Company Ltd, the company changed its name to the National Safe Deposit and Trustee Company Ltd on February 1 1928, later...

11 May 2013

1874 – London & Counties Bank, Sevenoaks, Kent

Architect: Fred Chancellor The Surrey, Kent and Sussex Banking Company had been established at Southwark in 1836 and soon had branches in places like Croydon, Brighton, Maidstone and Woolwich. It was renamed the...

30 April 2013

1920 – London County Westminster & Parr’s Bank, Brondesbury, London

Architect: E. Guy Dawber From The Building News, August 6 1920: “The drawing reproduced to-day is at the Royal Academy Exhibition, The building is being erected, The facades are in brick with Portland...

30 April 2013

1897 – National Bank of Commerce, New York

The National Bank of Commerce. or 126 Broadway, in lower Manhattan, New York was built in 1897, but was demolished in the 1960s. Adjacent buildings were also cleared to make way for the...

20 April 2013

1903 – Hanover National Bank, New York

Architect: Rowe & Baker The Hanover Bank Building in the Financial District, began construction in 1901 and demolished in 1931. The Hanover Bank was named for Britain’s King George I of Hanover when...

15 April 2013

1870 – Bank of Ireland, Boyle, Co. Roscommon

Attractive bank branch with symmetrical front elevation, with doors to the banking hall and living accommodation. One of the doorways has an ATM crudely inserted. The doorway to the banking hall has a...

31 March 2013

1868 – General Credit and Discount Company, 7 Lothbury, London

Architect: George Somers Clarke Still standing today, this Venetian Gothic style building was completed to a slightly different design than illustrated – an entrance was inserted onto the Lothbury Street facade. Nikolaus Pevsner...

31 March 2013

1865 – Union Bank of London, Princes St., London

Architect: Philip Charles Hardwick This joint stock bank was established at 8 Moorgate Street, City of London, in 1839 as Union Bank of London with a paid-up capital of £211,500. The head office...

26 March 2013

1839 – Former Bank, 1 Mallow Street, Limerick

Architect: James Pain Former branch of the Provincial Bank of Ireland, which later after a series of mergers became AIB. Fine stone facade of five bays with symmetrical treatment of the entrances to...