Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

banks

01 August 2012

1890 – The Bank of Montreal, Calgary, Alberta

Architect: Child & Wilson Architects Child & Wilson was one of the first large practices in Alberta. Their successful practice was responsible for the design of many of the landmark buildings constructed of...

19 July 2012

1879 – Bank Premises, Sudbury, Suffolk

Architect: Brightwen Binyon New bank branch for Messrs. Alexander, Birbeck, Barclay & Buxton. Perspective including ground floor plans published in The Building News, August 8th 1879. “his building is now in course of...

19 July 2012

1880 – National Penny Bank, Victoria St., London

Architect: Henman & Harrison Described as “Premises in course of erection for C.C.T Bartley inc., containing the Head Offices of The National Penny Bank Ltd., suites of offices and residential chambers” Published in...

14 July 2012

1902 – Merchants Bank, Main Street, Winnipeg

Architect: Taylor & Gordon Winnipeg’s first steel framed building at seven storeys high. Merchants Bank of Canada was taken over by the Bank of Montreal in the early 1920s. Demolished to make way...

14 July 2012

1899 – Dominion Bank, 440 Main Street, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: Darling & Pearson Beautiful turned corner with banking hall. Located at 440 Main Street, and demolished in 1966. Now an empty site.

04 July 2012

1899 – Canadian Bank of Commerce, Winnipeg, Manitoba

Architect: Darling & Pearson Dismantled stone by stone in 1910 and re-erected in Regina, Saskatchewan. A replacement bank building, even more grandiose was designed and built by Darling & Pearson.

03 July 2012

1880 – National Penny Bank & Artizans Dwellings, Clerkenwell, London

Architect: Henman & Harrison Illustration in The Building News, October 29th 1880. According to The Builder, August 7 1880: “This extensive pile of buildings, at the oorner of St. John’s-square and Clerkenwell-road, has...

08 June 2012

1730s – La Touche Bank, Cork Hill, Dublin

The La Touches were a Huguenots family from the Loire, who fled to Holland on the Revocation of the Edict of Nantes. They later moved to Ireland, becoming involved in the weaving trade...

01 June 2012

1910 – Weyburn Security Bank, Weyburn, Saskatchewan

Architect: Long, Lamoureux & Long Head office of The Weyburn Security Bank, which was the only Saskatchewan chartered bank to operate. The bank functioned from 1910 until 1931, and had 32 branch offices...