Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Bavaria

13 January 2010

1680 – Residenz, Kempten, Bavaria

The former abbot’s residence next to St Lorenz Basilika contains two courtyards, has a small tower at each corner and turns itself inwards on the city. This is probably due to the fact...

13 January 2010

1652 – St Lorenz Basilika, Kempten, Bavaria

Architect: Michael Beer, Johann Serro Under the direction of the Prince Abbott Giel of Gielsberg, the St Lorenz Basilika was begun on 13 April 1652. Under the guidance of the masterbuilder Michael Beer...

13 January 2010

1474 – Rathaus, Kempten, Bavaria

The Rathaus or Townhall has a fine if unusual principal facade which faces onto the Rathausplatz. Bounded on all sides by streets, the Rathaus once had an arcaded ground floor perhaps for use...

13 January 2010

1450 – Illertor, Kempten, Bavaria

Now a freestanding tower near the river Iller, the Illertor was once a gateway into the Aldstadt through the city walls. Of the other towers, only streetnames remind us of their existance.

13 January 2010

1426 – St. Mang Kirche, Kempten, Bavaria

From 1525 to 1802 Kempten was divided into two parts: a Protestant Reichsstadt (free imperial city) and a Catholic F├╝rststift (Benedictine abbey). The former quarter, whose center was occupied by the Church of...

13 January 2010

1886 – Schloss Neuschwanstein, Bavaria

Architect: Christian Jank Never completed after the mysterious death of its instigator, the eccentric Bavarian King Ludwig II in 1886, Schloss Neuschwanstein is one of the most recognisable castles in the world. Set...

13 January 2010

1832 – Hohenschwangau, Bavaria

Architects: Domenico Quaglio, George Friedrich Ziebland, Joseph Daniel Ohlm├╝ller A fortified castle stood on this site from the middle ages but was destroyed during the Tyrolean War. In 1832, the heir to the...