Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Linkedin Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Belfast

15 July 2014

1885 – Orange Hall, Clifton St., Belfast

Architect: William Batt The Hall was opened on January 27th, 1885. To mark the bi-centenary of the “Glorious Revolution” of 1688 an equestrian bronze statue, by Henry Hems of Exeter,city coat of arms...

15 June 2014

1901 – Unbuilt Design for Assembly Rooms, Belfast

Architect: William Carruthers Laidlaw Third premiated design for competition, adjudicated by Sir Thomas Drew for new Presbyterian Assembley Rooms. He judged the costing conditions to be unreasonable and unachievable. William Hemstock was awarded...

15 June 2014

1901 – Unbuilt Design for Assembly Hall, Belfast

Architect: Rupert Savage “This design was awarded the first premium by the assessor, Sir Thos. Drew, R.H.A. ; but the committee declined to accept any of the designs submitted in this competition, and...

13 June 2014

1903 – Royal Archway, Wellington Place, Belfast

A triumphal arch at Wellington Place, Belfast, erected by the Linen Industry in honour of a visit by King Edward VII and Queen Alexandra.

13 June 2014

1896 – All Souls Church, Elmwood Avenue, Belfast

Architect: George W. Planck Second Presbyterian Congregation founded in 1708, with the York Street Congregation founded in 1840. Present building largely completed in 1896. Design chosen after an architectural competition in 1895 –...

12 June 2014

1870 – Working Men’s Institute, Queen Street, Belfast

Architect: Anthony Thomas Jackson Constructed at the junction of Queen and Mill Streets, demolished in 1915. The arcaded shops were the home of Lennon’s Catholic Repository. The building contained a library and a...

12 June 2014

1887 – Presbyterian Church, Windsor, Belfast, Co. Antrim

Architect: Young & Mackenzie A fine Victorian Gothic church on a elevated site, that is still in use today by its congregation. A later school was erected in the 1880s and connected to...

03 June 2014

1843 – Queens Bridge, Belfast, Co. Antrim

Architect: John Fraser, Charles Lanyon, & J.C. Bretland Originally designed by John Frazer with Charles Lanyon between 1841 and 1843 replacing an old 21-arch bridge. In the mid 1880s it was widended by...

26 May 2014

1881 – Ceylon Buildings, 64-66 Victoria St., Belfast

Architect: William Batt Designed for Brown, Corbett & Co. Demolished. “These premises, which will be known as “Ceylon Buildings,” have a frontage of 50ft. and extend back about 60ft. As a timber pond...

Pages:1234567...14Next »