Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Belfast

24 March 2015

1665 – Market House, High Street, Belfast, Co. Antrim

Belfast’s first market house of 1665 was located at the corner of High Street next to Cornmarket. According to an 1823 published history of Belfast, “In 1665 the inhabitants of Malone Falls Dunmurry...

11 March 2015

1907 – Garden Estate Competition, Cliftonville, Belfast

Architect: William M. Ashmore William Martin Ashmore was an English architect from Derbyshire. He won the first prize in Class I, for a house costing no more than £240, of the Belfast Garden...

10 March 2015

1900 – Second Premiated Design for Presbyterian Assembly, Belfast

Architect: Walter Hanstock Second placed design in competition to design new assembly building for the Presbyterian church. A legend in Irish architectural competitions, as the architect who drew up the conditions was eventually...

03 March 2015

1895 – Whitla Street Fire Station, Belfast, Co. Antrim

Architect: J.C. Bretland Demolished in the early 1970s for a modern replacement, after the area was cleared for a motorway. Josiah Corbett Bretland was Borough surveyor of Belfast between 1884-1903. As city surveyor...

01 March 2015

1963 – Aldergrove Airport, Belfast, Co. Antrim

A former RAF station, in July 1959 the decision was made to move civil flights to Aldergrove to take advantage of the large airfield and this took place in October 1963. A new...

17 February 2015

1814 – Royal Academical Institution, Belfast, Co. Antrim

Architect: John Soane The Institution was founded by the public subscription of the citizens of Belfast in the early years of the nineteenth century. Designed by John Soane, after a process where he...

17 February 2015

1812 – St. George’s, High Street, Belfast

Architect: John Bowden Described in The Dublin Penny Journal, Views in Belfast (1833), as “Situated in High-street, and erected in the years 1811-12, on the site of an old church taken down in...

13 February 2015

1833 – Christ Church, College Square, Belfast

Architect: William Farrell Designed to accommodate 1,650, consecrated 25 July 1833 and closed June 1993. After lying redundant for several years, it suffered severe fire damage in 1996, with just four walls and...

13 February 2015

1827 – Meetinghouse, Fisherwick Place, Belfast, Co. Antrim

Architect: Thomas Duff Opened 20 Sep 1827. Demolished to make way for Presbyterian Assembly building. Described in The Dublin Penny Journal, Views in Belfast (1833), as “Erected in the year 1827-28, is built...


Skip to toolbar