Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Linkedin Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Belfast

17 October 2013

1898 – Belfast Boat Club, Belfast, Co. Antrim

Architect: Vincent Craig Former home of the Belfast Boat Club, which was deemed state of the art in its day was opened on the 12th September 1897 was blown up in ‘the troubles’...

16 September 2013

1902 – Scottish Provident, Donegall Sq., Belfast

Architect: Young & Mackenzie A large office building constructed in stages from 1899-1902, the Scottish Provident Institution is constructed of Glasgow blonde sandstone. The main entrance on the corner of Wellington Place is...

11 September 2013

1871 – Carved Stone Pilasters, Belfast

Designs for carved stone pilasters, Baelfast, as published in The Builder, February 18 1871.

13 August 2013

1876 – Carlisle Memorial Methodist Church, Belfast, Co. Antrim

Architect: W.H. Lynn Designed in the Gothic Revival style by noted architect W.H. Lynn and completed in 1876, the church was home to one of the largest Methodist congregations in Belfast. The church...

25 July 2013

1776 – St Anne’s Church, Belfast, Co. Antrim

Architect: Francis Hiorne Commisioned by by Arthur, 5th Earl of Donegall, and named after his wife, St Anne’s was designed by English architect Francis Hiorne of Warwick. Constructed on the site of the...

25 July 2013

1870 – St. Enoch’s Presbyterian Church, Carlisle Circus, Belfast, Co. Antrim

Architect: Anthony Thomas Jackson Erected in the early 1870s, it was one of the largest Presbyterian churches in all of Ulster. St Enoch’s had a magnificent theatre-like interior with two tiers of galleries...

17 July 2013

1897 – Former National Bank, 62-68 High Street, Belfast

Architect: William Batt The National Bank Ltd, a bank founded by Daniel O’Connell in 1835 had branches in Ireland and Britain. The Irish branches were acquired by Bank of Ireland in 1965 and...

09 July 2013

1881 – Theatre Royal, Arthur St., Belfast

Architect: Lanyon, Lynn & Lanyon / C.J. Phipps Originally constructed by Lanyon, Lynn & Lanyon in 1871 with carving by the Fitzpatrick Brothers. It was badly damaged by fire in June 1881, reopening...

09 July 2013

1860 – Former Ulster Bank Headquarters, Waring St., Belfast

Architect: James Hamilton Constructed as the headquarters of the Ulster Bank, and now a luxury hotel. Hamilton won the commission after an architectural competition in 1857 that attracted over 50 competitors from across...