Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Linkedin Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Belfast

25 January 2014

1874 – J. Robb & Co Department Store, Castle St., Belfast

Architect: William Hastings John Robb & Co was a Belfast department store that had extended many times in the late 19th century. Originally it was at No 15 in 1861, expanding to No...

09 January 2014

1898 – Shankill Road Mission, Belfast, Co. Antrim

Architect: William Roome Large amphitheatre to seat about 2,000, medical mission , soup kitchen, with four shops fronting road. Closed in 2009, the mission originally started in a large tent in 1869 and...

22 October 2013

1840 – Glasshouse, Botanic Gardens, Belfast, Co. Antrim

Architect: Charles Lanyon As originally built, it was to the designs of Charles Lanyon in 1840. Turner & Walker were the contractors for first stage. The central dome, built by Young of Edinburgh...

17 October 2013

1898 – Belfast Boat Club, Belfast, Co. Antrim

Architect: Vincent Craig Former home of the Belfast Boat Club, which was deemed state of the art in its day was opened on the 12th September 1897 was blown up in ‘the troubles’...

16 September 2013

1902 – Scottish Provident, Donegall Sq., Belfast

Architect: Young & Mackenzie A large office building constructed in stages from 1899-1902, the Scottish Provident Institution is constructed of Glasgow blonde sandstone. The main entrance on the corner of Wellington Place is...

11 September 2013

1871 – Carved Stone Pilasters, Belfast

Designs for carved stone pilasters, Baelfast, as published in The Builder, February 18 1871.

13 August 2013

1876 – Carlisle Memorial Methodist Church, Belfast, Co. Antrim

Architect: W.H. Lynn Designed in the Gothic Revival style by noted architect W.H. Lynn and completed in 1876, the church was home to one of the largest Methodist congregations in Belfast. The church...

25 July 2013

1776 – St Anne’s Church, Belfast, Co. Antrim

Architect: Francis Hiorne Commisioned by by Arthur, 5th Earl of Donegall, and named after his wife, St Anne’s was designed by English architect Francis Hiorne of Warwick. Constructed on the site of the...

25 July 2013

1870 – St. Enoch’s Presbyterian Church, Carlisle Circus, Belfast, Co. Antrim

Architect: Anthony Thomas Jackson Erected in the early 1870s, it was one of the largest Presbyterian churches in all of Ulster. St Enoch’s had a magnificent theatre-like interior with two tiers of galleries...