Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Belfast

11 September 2013

1871 – Carved Stone Pilasters, Belfast

Designs for carved stone pilasters, Baelfast, as published in The Builder, February 18 1871.

13 August 2013

1876 – Carlisle Memorial Methodist Church, Belfast, Co. Antrim

Architect: W.H. Lynn Designed in the Gothic Revival style by noted architect W.H. Lynn and completed in 1876, the church was home to one of the largest Methodist congregations in Belfast. The church...

25 July 2013

1776 – St Anne’s Church, Belfast, Co. Antrim

Architect: Francis Hiorne Commisioned by by Arthur, 5th Earl of Donegall, and named after his wife, St Anne’s was designed by English architect Francis Hiorne of Warwick. Constructed on the site of the...

25 July 2013

1870 – St. Enoch’s Presbyterian Church, Carlisle Circus, Belfast, Co. Antrim

Architect: Anthony Thomas Jackson Erected in the early 1870s, it was one of the largest Presbyterian churches in all of Ulster. St Enoch’s had a magnificent theatre-like interior with two tiers of galleries...

17 July 2013

1897 – Former National Bank, 62-68 High Street, Belfast

Architect: William Batt The National Bank Ltd, a bank founded by Daniel O’Connell in 1835 had branches in Ireland and Britain. The Irish branches were acquired by Bank of Ireland in 1965 and...

09 July 2013

1881 – Theatre Royal, Arthur St., Belfast

Architect: Lanyon, Lynn & Lanyon / C.J. Phipps Originally constructed by Lanyon, Lynn & Lanyon in 1871 with carving by the Fitzpatrick Brothers. It was badly damaged by fire in June 1881, reopening...

09 July 2013

1860 – Former Ulster Bank Headquarters, Waring St., Belfast

Architect: James Hamilton Constructed as the headquarters of the Ulster Bank, and now a luxury hotel. Hamilton won the commission after an architectural competition in 1857 that attracted over 50 competitors from across...

09 July 2013

1907 – Royal Hippodrome Theatre, Belfast

Architect: Bertie Crewe The Royal Hippodrome Theatre was constructed beside the Grand Opera House in 1908-07. Later renovated in the 1960s as a Odeon cinema, it lost much of its original architectural detail....

08 May 2013

1868 – St Mary’s Church of Ireland, Crumlin Rd., Belfast

Architect: Slater & Carpenter St Mary’s Church of Ireland was completed in 1868 to a design by the London architect William Slater. Estimated cost £2,400 but eventual cost £6,500. The church was badly...