Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Linkedin Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Belfast

09 January 2012

1872 – Elmwood Hall, Queen’s University Belfast

Architect: John Corry Designed by amateur architect John Corry, Elmwood Hall, a former Presbyterian Church, is the concert hall for Queen’s University. Originally designed in 1859, it was not completed until the construction...

09 January 2012

1850 – County Court House, Crumlin Rd, Belfast, Co. Antrim

Architect: Charles Lanyon Final design proposal for County Court House by Charles Lanyon. The building was largely completed as illustrated but since extended by Young and Mackenzie in 1905. This wasn’t the original...

07 January 2012

1790 – Meeting-House, Rosemary Street, Belfast, Co. Antrim

Dr. Drummond’s Meeting-House, Second Congregation, Rosemary Street, was built 1790, nad demolished 1964. It is believed that architect Francis Hiorne who designed St. Anne’s Church was consulted on the design. It is unclear...

07 January 2012

1965 – Microbiology Building, Royal Victoria Hospital, Belfast

Architect: Sir Hugh Casson Designed in 1961 and completed by 1965, the Microbiology Building is part of Queen’s University on the Royal Victoria Hospital campus.

06 January 2012

1900 – Holy Cross Church, Crumlin Rd., Belfast, Co. Antrim

Architect: W.G. Doolin Published in The Irish Builder, December 1 1900.

06 January 2012

1847 – Design for County Court House, Belfast, Co. Antrim

Architect: Charles Lanyon Unbuilt design proposal for County Court House by Charles Lanyon. With its curved screen walls, it is extremely reminiscent of the former Parliament Building in Dublin. As it was the...

06 January 2012

1785 – White Linen Hall, Belfast, Co. Antrim

Architect: Roger Mulholland Large building with enclosed square for the selling of what was then Belfast’s most important product. Three relatively unadorned facades, with a central tower dominating the primary frontage. Demolished in...

13 December 2011

1853 – Design for Presbyterian College, Belfast

Architect: Charles Lanyon Now known as Union Theological College, it the theological college for the Presbyterian Church in Ireland. As completed the building has some differences from the design illustrated, noticeably the first...

12 December 2011

1845 – Ulster Institution for the Deaf and Dumb, Belfast, Co. Antrim

Architect: Charles Lanyon A school for the education of the Deaf, Dumb, and Blind, designed by Charles Lanyon in an Elizabethan style. Costing £8,000, it opened to pupils in 1845 and was demolished...