Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Brandenburg

29 January 2010

1978 – Staatsbibliothek, Berlin

Architect: Hans Scharoun, Edgar Wisniewski In 1964, Hans Scharoun won the competition for the Prussian State Library with this design. However, he died before completion and the building was finished by his student...

29 January 2010

1969 – Fernsehturm, Berlin

Architect: Fritz Dieter, G√ľnter Franke The tallest structure in Berlin, the Fernsehturm was constructed by the old East German regieme as a symbol of hope and prosperity. It was also, in no small...

29 January 2010

1963 – Kaiser Wilhelm Gedachtniskirche, Berlin

Architects: Franz Schwechten, Egon Eiermann Destroyed in the Second World War, the Kaiser Wilhelm Memorial Church by Franz Schwechten was completed in 1895. It was a massive church with six towers and elaborate...

29 January 2010

1963 – Philarmonie, Berlin

Architect: Hans Scharoun, Edgar Wisniewski The Philharmonie was the first of a series of buildings which would create a Kulturforum (including the Kammermusiksaal, Staatsbibliothek, and Neue Nationalgalerie) in an area of Berlin leveled...

29 January 2010

1905 – Berliner Dom, Berlin

Architect: Julius Carl & Otto Raschdorff Before the construction of this massive cathedral, a smaller cathedral which was founded by Friedrich the Great and renovated by Schinkel stood on the site. Opposite one...

29 January 2010

1882 – Hackesche Markt, Berlin

Architect: Johannes Vollmer A beautifully restored railway station on the S-Bahn line, Hackesche Markt has an ornate brick and ceramic exterior. The interior has decorative polychromatic brickwork and a single span curving roof.

29 January 2010

1878 – Bahnhof Alexanderplatz, Berlin

Architect: Johann Eduard Jacobsthal Horribly clad on the exterior, this station on the S-Bahn still has its original 19th century heart. Originally designed by Johann Eduard Jacobsthal, it was reconstructed by Hans Joachim...

29 January 2010

1878 – Bahnhof Friedrichstrasse, Berlin

Architect: Johannes Vollmer The original station which opened in 1878 was designed by Johannes Vollmer. However due to the need for expansion over the years, very little of his work is now visible....

29 January 2010

1881 – Postfuhramt , Berlin

Architect: Carl Schwatlo The Postfuhramt housed the central office of Berlin’s pneumatic postal system as well as the main post office for packages. In addition, the building contained a postal and telegraph school....

Pages:12Next »