Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

bridges

10 June 2014

1933 – Bleach Green Viaducts, Whiteabbey, Co. Antrim

Architect: W.K. Wallace Bleach Green Viaduct, carries the mainline to Londonderry over the Larne Line, and was constructed between 1931 & 1933 by the LMS/NCC railway company. Usually referred to as “Bleach Green...

03 June 2014

1843 – Queens Bridge, Belfast, Co. Antrim

Architect: John Fraser, Charles Lanyon, & J.C. Bretland Originally designed by John Frazer with Charles Lanyon between 1841 and 1843 replacing an old 21-arch bridge. In the mid 1880s it was widended by...

04 May 2014

1290s – Thomondgate Bridge, Limerick, Co. Limerick

Thomondgate was part of the “Northern” Liberties granted to Limerick in 1216. This area was the border between Munster and Connacht until County Clare, which was created in 1565, was annexed by Munster...

23 March 2014

1850 – Spectacle Bridge, Lisdoonvarna, Co. Clare

Architect: John Hill This unusual bridge spans a deep narrow gorge through which the Aille River flows. As it had to support the road at the top, a double arch forming a circular...

19 March 2014

1910 – Tassagh Viaduct, Keady, Co. Armagh

Architect: Sir Benjamin Baker 11-arched viaduct in masonry and concrete for the Castleblayney, Keady & Armagh Railway Co., constructed in 1910 to provide a link between Armagh and the County Monaghan town of...

18 March 2014

1906 – Barrow Railway Bridge, Co. Wexford

Architect: Sir Benjamin Baker Built across the border of counties Wexford and Kilkenny between 1902 and 1906 to designs by Benjamin Baker, it is the longest railway bridge in Ireland at 2,131 feet...

28 February 2014

1870 – Design for O’Connell Bridge, Dublin

Architect: William Lewis Entrant in architectural competition to construct a new O’Connell Bridge, replacing Gandon’s Carlisle Bridge. Published in The Irish Builder, July 1 1870.

20 February 2014

1877 – Thomastown Viaduct, Co. Kilkenny

Architect: Charles R. Galwey Published in The Engineer, April 19 1879. Designed for the Waterford & Central Ireland Railway Company. The bridge originally opened in 1850 with a wooden central span of timber...

20 February 2014

1775 – Blackwater Bridge, Lismore, Co. Waterford

Architect: Thomas Ivory Commissioned by the 5th Duke of Devonshire (1748-1811) as part of improvements at Lismore, this is a graceful single span bridge over the river Blackwater. Three arches of a causeway...