Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr


19 July 2012

1756 – Design for Bridge, Carton, Co. Kildare

Architect: Isaac Ware James, 20th Earl of Kildare, consulted London architect Isaac Ware during the 1750s. Ware designed the bridge at Carton, the design of which was published in his Complete Body of...

12 June 2012

2011 – Mizen Head Footbridge, Co. Cork

The new Mizen Head Footbridge is a reinforced concrete through-arch structure that spans 50m across a sea gorge (45m above sea level) to connect the island of Cloghán, at the tip of Mizen...

27 April 2012

1796 – Foster Aqueduct, Constitution Hill, Dublin

In 1789 Dublin Corporation commissioned the Royal Canal and a harbour built on Constitution Hill, connected to the main canal at Phibsboro by a spur. Though the branch line was completed by 1796,...

11 April 2012

1915 – Unbuilt Design for Arlington Bridge, Winnipeg

Architect: Arthur A. Stoughton Unbuilt proposal for a bridge over the Assiniboine in Winnipeg.

29 March 2012

1879 – Design for Swing Bridge, Dublin

Architect: Bindon B. Stoney Design published in 1879 for bridge over the Liffey at Beresford Place. Eventually called Butt Bridge, it linked the new Tara Street with Beresford Place. It was replaced in...

27 March 2012

1994 – Cornmarket Bridge, Cork

Architect: Ian Ritchie Architects Winner of architectural competiton to design a new pedestrian bridge- a bridge with canopy. Unbuilt.

28 November 2011

1845 – Clontarf Railway Bridge, Dublin

A fine stone double-arched bridge under the railway embankment.

02 May 2011

1836 – Thomond Bridge, Limerick

Architect: James & George Pain The current seven-arch bridge was built in 1836, replacing the earlier bridge which was also alongside King John’s Castle. The architect James Pain had surveyed the earlier medieval...

15 March 2011

1883 – New Railway Bridge, Blackfriars, London

Elevations, sections & details “by Mr.Mills, Mr.Wolfe, Mr Barry & Mr Brunel – Engineers & Architects” for the London, Chatham and Dover Railway, and published in The Building News. September 28th 1883.