Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Calgary

01 August 2012

1895 – Post Office, Calgary, Alberta

Architect: Thomas Fuller Post office and Federal Office by Dominion architect Thomas Fuller on 8th Avenue. Demolished circa 1929.

01 August 2012

1890 – Alexander Corner, Calgary, Alberta

Architect: Child & Wilson Architects Built opposite the Bank of Montreal which was designed by the same architects in a similar style. Demolished.

01 August 2012

1890 – The Bank of Montreal, Calgary, Alberta

Architect: Child & Wilson Architects Child & Wilson was one of the first large practices in Alberta. Their successful practice was responsible for the design of many of the landmark buildings constructed of...

01 August 2012

1913 – Hudson’s Bay Company, Calgary, Alberta

Architect: Burke Horwood & White Magnificent Edwardian department store of six storeys with the facade organized into three divisions. The base features display windows behind an arched colonnade. The middle division, the second...

01 August 2012

1929 – T. Eaton Co., Calgary, Alberta

Architect: Ross & Macdonald The T. Eaton Co. opened its original department store on the site in 1929. In the late 1980s Eaton’s relocated into a new building one block west. In 1988,...

01 August 2012

1910 – Grain Exchange, Calgary, Alberta

Architect: Hodgson & Bates William Roper Hull, rancher, real estate speculator and founding member of the Calgary Grain Exchange, built this six-storey sandstone structure in 1910 to provide offices for the newly formed...

01 August 2012

1912 – Lougheed Building, Calgary, Alberta

Architect: L.R. Wardrop For many years this building also contained the Grand Theatre – which had a seating capacity of 1,500 and one of the largest stages in the country. It had an...

01 August 2012

1907 – Land Titles Office, Calgary, Alberta

Architect: Allan Merrick Jeffers Constructed in 1907-08 at a cost of $80,000, was designed to be a “strictly fireproof” structure. Built of Calgary sandstone backed with brick and concrete, the windows and doors...

01 August 2012

1912 – Beveridge-Travis Block, Calgary, Alberta

Architect: Hodgson, Bates & Butler Demolished in 1987 following a December 1986 fire which also destroyed the Commercial Block adjacent. At the time of its construction a local newspaper reported, “It is fully...

Pages:123Next »