Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Calgary

07 July 2012

1888 – Law Courts, Calgary, Alberta

Architect: Thomas Fuller Former court house, demolished in 1958. Constructed on 4th St. South West in 1888.

07 July 2012

1911 – CPR Department of Natural Resources, Calgary, Alberta

Canadian Pacific Railway Department of Natural Resources building which was on the south side of 9th Avenue east of Centre Street, beside the CPR station. The building occupied the site of what was...

07 July 2012

1918 – Lancaster Building, Calgary, Alberta

Architect: James Teague Architect’s rendering of Mackie Block constructed between 1912-18 and now known as the Lancaster Building.

07 July 2012

1913 – Burns Building, Calgary, Alberta

Architect: William S. Bates Constructed between 1912 and 1913, the Burns Building embodies the Chicago style of architecture in its reinforced concrete framing, grid-like fenestration pattern, terra cotta decorative elements, and prominent upper...

01 July 2012

1906 – McDougall Block, Calgary, Alberta

Architect: Francis Lawson Situated on the northeast corner of First street and Eighth avenue. Union Bank, the original main floor tenant, eventually purchased the building in 1916 and renamed it the Union Bank...

08 June 2012

1911 – Fire Hall No.1, Calgary, Alberta

Architect: Lang & Major Built in 1911 to replace Calgary’s first Fire Headquarters, which had been erected in 1887. Front exterior view of Firehall No.1, known as the Central Fire Station. The large...

02 April 2012

1918 – Mewata Armory, Calgary, Alberta

Architect: Thomas W. Fuller The building was built between 1915 and 1918 for an original cost of $282,051 Canadian dollars. The building was designed by Thomas W. Fuller (Department of Public Works Architect...

07 August 2011

1912 – The Herald Building, Calgary, Alberta

Also known as the Southam building, it housed the Calgary Herald from 1913-1932. During the 1960s the exterior was ‘modernised’ removing much of the exterior decoration. Demolished 1972.

01 August 2011

1912 – Memorial Park Library, Calgary, Alberta

Architect: McLean & Wright Philanthropist Andrew Carnegie funded $80,000 of the $100,000 cost of Calgary’s Central Library, which was the first purpose-built public library in Alberta. It was designed by Boston architects McLean...