Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Linkedin Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Carlingford

06 January 2010

1935 – Courthouse, Carlingford, Co. Louth

Unusual little courthouse with Art Deco pretensions, particularly in the gateways and railings.

06 January 2010

1925 – St. Michael’s Hall, Carlingford, Co. Louth

Small parish hall whose architectural detail is a simple stripped Italianate classicism executed in render.

06 January 2010

1869 – Presbyterian Church, Carlingford, Co. Louth

Architect: Robert Young Simple little Gothic Revival Presbyterian Church in a combination of limestone and granite masonry, with lancet windows and an unusual filial on the apex of the facade.

06 January 2010

1800 – Abbeyview House, Carlingford, Co. Louth

Fine house, sympathetically extended around 1900, with ornate central doorway and large window openings. The door surround is particularly notable and offers a focal point to the fa├žade.

06 January 2010

1821 – Former Church of Ireland, Carlingford, Co. Louth

Donated by the Church of Ireland to Carlingford this restored medieval church (the former Church of the Holy Trinity) is also known as the Holy Trinity Heritage Centre. The tower is an earlier...

06 January 2010

14th C. Dominican Friary, Carlingford, Co. Louth

The Dominicans were established in Carlingford in 1305 with the friary being dedicated to St. Malachy. Dissolved in 1540 by Henry VIII it became the centre of a repossession struggle between the Dominicans...

06 January 2010

1450 – The Tholsel, Carlingford, Co. Louth

The Tholsel or town-gate is the only remaining example of its nature in Carlingford and one of the few left in Ireland. Originally three stories high – the present appearance is due to...

06 January 2010

16th C. – Taffee’s Castle, Carlingford, Co. Louth

A sizable fortified town house that belonged to the rich mercantile Taaffe family who became Earls of Carlingford in 1661. It’s close proximity to the harbour would suggest that trade was conducted from...

06 January 2010

1430c – The Mint, Carlingford, Co. Louth

Essentially a fortified three storey town house belonging to a wealthy merchant family in the centre of Carlingford. While the right to mint coinage was granted to Carlingford in 1467 it is unlikely...

Pages:12Next »