Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Carlow

09 October 2015

1898 – Methodist Chapel, Carlow

In the early months of 1897, construction started on this building comprised a chapel and adjoining lecture hall, and in the basement, a tea room or Sunday School room, a store and a...

29 September 2015

1895 – Masonic Hall, Carlow, Co. Carlow

Architect: W. Morrison Symmetrical but domestically scaled Masonic Lodge, still in use today. Architect given as a W. Morrison.

28 September 2015

1818 – Braganza House, Carlow, Co. Carlow

Architect: Thomas A. Cobden Originally built for Col. Sir Dudley Hill by Thomas A. Cobden, later the architect of the nearby Roman Catholic Cathedral. After been used as the Bishop’s Palace for many...

26 March 2014

1867 – Schools, Carlow, Co. Carlow

Architect: John McCurdy Strongly reminiscent of the work of Deane and Woodward of a decade before. “With this number we give an illustration of schools at present being erect at Carlow. They are...

18 June 2013

1830 – Duckett’s Grove, Carlow, Co. Carlow

Architect: Thomas A. Cobden / John Macduff Derick In his book A Guide to Irish Country Houses Mark Bence-Jones describes Duckett’s Grove as a “square house of two and three storeys, transformed into...

09 March 2013

1833 – Cathedral of the Assumption, Carlow, Co. Carlow

Architect: Thomas A. Cobden The construction of Carlow Cathedral started in 1826 under the supervision of the architect Joseph Lynch who was succeeded by the architect Thomas Cobden in 1829 who changed the...

26 March 2011

1834 – Courthouse, Carlow, Co. Carlow

Architect: William Vitruvius Morrison Carlow Courthouse was designed by William Vitruvius Morrison in 1830,completed in 1834, and is considered one of his finest works. It is built of Carlow granite and gives the...

13 January 2010

2009 – VISUAL – Centre for Contemporary Art & The George Bernard Shaw Theatre, Carlow

Architect: Terry Pawson Architects The new VISUAL Centre for Contemporary Art and The George Bernard Shaw Theatre, located on the grounds of Carlow College was opened on the 26th of September 2009. The...

13 April 2009

1846 – Carlow Railway Station, Co. Carlow

Architect: Sir John MacNeill A good example of Jacobean Revival architecture, comprising a two storey central block and two single storey wings. Finished in yellow brick with granite features particularly in the window...