Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

castles

06 January 2010

16th C. – Taffee’s Castle, Carlingford, Co. Louth

A sizable fortified town house that belonged to the rich mercantile Taaffe family who became Earls of Carlingford in 1661. It’s close proximity to the harbour would suggest that trade was conducted from...

06 January 2010

1200 – King John’s Castle, Carlingford, Co. Louth

Known as King John’s Castle because it was allegedly founded by King John who stayed here briefly in 1210, the castle was more likely founded by Hugh de Lacy some years before. The...

06 January 2010

1858 – Knockabbey Castle, Louth, Co. Louth

Architect: William Caldbeck When it was first built in 1399, it was called Thomastown Castle and consisted only of a towerhouse. Reflecting their prestige and position, the Bellews, who had lived here since...

06 January 2010

1839 – Barmeath Castle, Dunleer, Co. Louth

Architect: John B. Keane / Thomas Smith Originally the site of a medieval Castle of the Pale, it was enlarged in the mid 18th century into a Georgian residence. At this stage it...

06 January 2010

1600s – St. Leger’s Castle, Ardee, Co. Louth

One of two castles on the main street and known locally as the Courthouse, this early 17th century castle has been recently restored and will be turned to civic usage. It was converted...

06 January 2010

1600c – Hatch’s Castle, Ardee, Co. Louth

The smaller of the two castles on the street, Hatch’s Castle with its unusual rounded corners is a private home. The southern corner has a projecting turret.

31 December 2009

1588 – Ennscorthy Castle, Co. Wexford

Detached two-bay three-storey over basement medieval castle, rebuilt 1588, originally on a square plan possibly incorporating the fabric of Norman castle which was founded in 1205. Having fallen into ruin by the turn...

31 December 2009

1480 c. – Ballyhack Castle, Co. Wexford

15th century tower house built by the Knights Hospitallers of St. John.

31 December 2009

1810 – Athlone Castle, Co. Westmeath

Towards the end of the 12th century the Anglo-Normans constructed a motte-and-bailey fortification here. This was superceeded by a stone structure built in 1210, on the orders of King John of England. The...