Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Linkedin Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Architecture of Cavan

29 April 2014

1862 – St. Joseph’s School & Convent, Cavan

Architect: John Ryan The Poor Clares founded a convent in Cavan in 1861 in a large premises on Main Street. As a closed contemplative order the nuns themselves were never seen by the...

28 September 2009

2005 – Library & Heritage Centre, Cavan, Co. Cavan

Architect: Shaffrey Architects The overall aim of this project wass to create a Great Public Space for the people of Cavan. This building, completed in late 2005 replaced an outdated and inadequate Central...

28 September 2009

1942 – Cathedral of Saints Patrick and Felim, Cavan, Co. Cavan

Architect: William H. Byrne & Son The original Cathedral of the diocese of Kilmore was situated about four miles south of Cavan town in the present parish of Kilmore. Some time in the...

28 September 2009

1910 – Townhall, Cavan, Co. Cavan

Architect: William Scott Later head of architecture at University College Dublin, W.A. Scott was responsible for some of the more innovative buildings in Ireland during the early part of the twentieth century. His...

28 September 2009

1882 – Masonic Hall, Cavan, Co. Cavan

Architect: Small Gothic inspired Masonic Hall on an almost domestic scale.

28 September 2009

1836 – Presbyterian Church, Cavan, Co. Cavan

Fine little building with decorative pinnacles and crisp detailing. The battlemented porch with twin-light window is an especially attractive feature.

28 September 2009

1859 – Former Methodist Church, Cavan, Co. Cavan

Architect: William Hague Former church with truncated spire over the doorway. A simple exercise in Gothic revival.

28 September 2009

1825 – Courthouse, Cavan, Co. Cavan

Architect: William Farrell Presumed to be the work of William Farrell as it is almost identical to a courthouse by him in Carrick-on-shannon, the courthouse cost 11,000 pounds to build. Five bays wide,...

28 September 2009

1820 – Church of Ireland, Cavan, Co. Cavan

Architect: John Bowden One of the larger Board of First Fruits churches due to the town’s status as a garrison town, the Church of Ireland has a fine galleried interior. Full, it can...