Twitter Facebook Vimeo Youtube Google Plus Pinterest Tumblr

Charles Lanyon

16 October 2011

1855 – Ballyedmond Castle, Rostrevor, Co. Down

Architect: Charles Lanyon Ballyedmond Castle was a Tudor-Baronial mansion, with pointed gables, mullioned windows; a battlemented tower and conical-roofed turret. At one stage, the house was being used as a hotel. The original...

11 April 2011

1857 – Scrabo Tower, Newtownards, Co. Down

Architect: Charles Lanyon Erected in 1857, the Tower was built by local people as a monument to Charles William Stewart, 3rd Marquess of Londonderry. The marquis was a local landowner and nobleman with...

16 February 2010

1864 – National Gallery of Ireland, Merrion Square, Dublin

Architect: Richard Griffith, Charles Lanyon, Captain Francis Fowke, Sir Thomas Manly Deane, Benson + Forsyth The original building was an exact elevational copy of the Natural History Museum by Frederick Clarendon across Leinster...

08 February 2010

1853 – Campanile, Trinity College Dublin

Architect: Sir Charles Lanyon Originally intended to be linked to the buildings on either side by an “arcaded screen,” the campanile is often used pictorially to represent Trinity College. The belfry is a...

16 January 2010

Eminent Victorian

The neat little Co Down village of Ballywalter sits on the coastal shore of the Ards Peninsula, looking across the North Channel towards Scotland. On the south side of the village, behind a...

29 September 2009

1875 – Lodge, Castle Leslie, Glaslough, Co. Monaghan

Architect: Charles Lanyon At the entrance to the Leslie Demense from the village, this substantial stone building has been used as a hotel, and is now part of the family’s equestrian centre. Presumably...

28 September 2009

1867 – Tourist Information Office, Armagh

Architect: Sir Charles Lanyon Formerly a branch of the Belfast Banking Company and thereafter the Northern Bank, the Tourist Information Office was designed by Sir Charles Lanyon in 1867. A deceptively large building,...

24 September 2009

1849 – Lanyon Building, Queen’s University Belfast

Architect: Sir Charles Lanyon Sir Charles Lanyon designed the main building of Queen’s University of Belfast in 1849 which now bears his name. The building is famous for its long Gothic Revival facade...

06 June 2009

Sir Thomas Drew (1838-1910)

Articled to Sir Charles Lanyon, Drew joined the office of William G. Murray and moved to Dublin. He became one of the most distinguished architects of the 19th century in Ireland, as well...

Pages:« Prev12